BirdLife International in Vietnam
BirdLife Direct Action Programmes
BirdLife International in Vietnam works closely with Viet Nature Conservation Centre to promote conservation of habitats, sites and species in collaboration with government agencies to:
- Provide support for improved planning and management of important habitats, sites and species;
- Introduce and advocate new ideas for integrating biodiversity conservation into planning and policy;
- Stimulate greater public interest in birds and biodiversity, and awareness of the need for biodiversity conservation;
- Develop capacity for improved management of habitat, sites and species; and
- Provide information on biodiversity and protected areas to planners, policy makers and other interest groups.
In a recent study 117 bird species, six of which are endemic to the subcontinent, were recorded in four HeidelbergCement quarries in India. The scientific field survey that was conducted in the first week of January 2020 was spearheaded by Birdlife International along with local partner the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS).
For a suspenseful three years, Lomphat Wildlife Sanctuary seemed doomed. But now, changed policies, changed hearts and a new organic rice scheme promises hope for the forest landscape’s villagers, businesses and giant birds.