The mission of SOS/BirdLife is the research and conservation of nature, mainly birds and their habitats.
- Monitoring of birds and data gathering.
- Protection of SPAs/IBA.
- Practical activities for endangered bird species and the management of biotopes.
- Development of membership.
- Environmental education and public awareness-building for bird conservation: lectures, World Birdwatch, Spring Arrivals, Bird of the Year.
- Environmental policy: agriculture, national campaigns on hot issues, comments on new legislation.
50 years ago, during the 1972 UN Conference on the Environment in Stockholm, the world concluded that the environment was a major priority. While we celebrate this anniversary, we are also reeling from the 50-year-long failure of humanity to conserve nature as our grandparents knew it.
Bycatch from fishing is killing Europe’s seabirds in huge and unsustainable numbers. Jeremy Herry exposes the scale of the problem and sheds lights on the simple solutions that could turn things around – with enough political will.