Polish Society for the Protection of Birds (OTOP)
The mission of OTOP is:
- to protect birds and their habitats
- to establish and manage new bird reserves
- to lobby local authorities for the promotion and protection of Important Bird Areas
- to promote knowledge of birds and their life
- to prevent human activities which harm nature
- to support nature-friendly land-use
- to support research for bird protection
- to support the birdwatching movement
Press release – EU Nature Restoration Law: AGRI Committee votes against farmers’ future and food security
This afternoon, the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development (AGRI) of the European Parliament voted for a full rejection of the Commission’s proposal for the EU Nature Restoration Law. With this opinion, the bulk of Members of Parliament is letting down their own constituency of farmers, who are facing the unprecedented impact of the collapse of our ecosystems and climate change.
BirdLife’s new position paper Winds of Change: Powering Healthy Seas through a Nature Positive Energy Transition presents a clear vision for our seas and outlines how the shift to renewable energy sources at sea can catalyse action to combat the interconnected nature and climate crises.
The beautiful Doñana National Park, located in the south of Spain, is under threat from, among others, illegal water irrigation practices. This park, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994, is home to an incredible array of plant and animal species, many of which are at risk of extinction. Unfortunately, the use of water illegally extracted from the already overexploited park’s aquifers is causing significant damage to the delicate ecosystem.