Paraguay - Guyra
Mission of the organisation
To promote the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity with an emphasis on birds and the responsible active participation of society.
Promoting Research and Sustainable Development are Guyra Paraguay’s criteria for the ongoing search for a better quality of life for the population. The personal commitment of each member of Guyra Paraguay - the employees, board of directors, members, partners and friends - is indispensable to the attainment of the noble principles that inspire our cause. It is because of this that we seek “To constantly encourage the spirit of teamwork in working in alliance with other organizations that agree with Guyra Paraguay’s principles of quality, excellence, and professional ethics, ensuring that our endeavors are always based on valid scientific information that is appropriate and timely for the harmonic and sustainable development of the country and the region”.
To achieve its vision and strategic mission, in the following five years Guyra Paraguay will focus its work in six major Action Areas, these are:
- Species Conservation. Advance biodiversity knowledge, with an emphasis on birds, periodically updating the conservation state of threatened species and providing action plans for the conservation of priority species and addressing the problems affecting their populations.
- Conservation of Sites. Continue with the identification, prioritization, conservation, monitoring, and sustainable use of the areas most important for biodiversity conservation in Paraguay, developing specific conservation plans for reserve areas owned or managed by Guyra Paraguay.
- Landscape Conservation. Monitor changes, levels of restoration, degradation, and fragmentation in ecoregions - including urban, productive, and transnational ecosystems - and promote rural development through sustainable production.
- Public Policy Impact. Support and lead activities that impact national and international public policy, focusing on capacity building in replicator agents (decision makers, recognized social and political figures) to promote the integration of scientific findings in policy, raise awareness on the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, and make the issues of climate change and land degradation traverse all strategic areas, including poverty alleviation.
- Citizen Participation. Implement appropriate mechanisms and technologies for citizenry participation, communication, and education with a focus on incentives, benefits, and the active participation of local communities and replicator agents, integrating ecological requirements with development interests and human rights, oriented towards sustainable environmental practices.
- Institutional Development. Move towards organizational self-sufficiency and strengthening with the capacity to maintain and develop own programs, and with national and international recognition, infrastructure appropriate for needs, clear and transparent policies, and a committed professional team that receives ongoing training, to create value in its actions.