France - Ligue pour la Protection des Oiseaux (LPO)
Founded in: 1912
Address: Fonderies Royales, 8 rue du Docteur Pujos, BP 90263, FR, FR-17305
Tel/Fax: Tel. +33 546 82 12 34; Fax +33 546 83 95 86
Mission of the organisation
Working to protect birds and wildlife for people, and to stop the decline in biodiversity, through knowledge, conservation, raising awareness amongst the public to engage their support.
- Coordination of a network of 43 financially independent LPO sections.
- With the network, management of 171 sites (23,219 hectares in metropolitan France. It manages 10 visitor centres, with a total of over 250,000 visitors per year.
- Coordination and/or application of action plans for nationally threatened species (Bearded vulture, Lesser Kestrel, Amsterdam Albatross)
Protection of breeding sites, identification of the causes of extinction, population monitoring, public awareness campaigns for globally threatened species.
- Active in Environment Ministry’s nature protection committees, at national and regional level.
- Development of education tools with schools for use in the classroom.
- Development and expansion of a network of Refuges on private land managed for the benefit of wildlife (15,500 covering 25,400 ha all over France).
- Media work and publications :2 magazines for members and general public, 1 for young people, 1 for specialists.
- Collaborative work with the local bird NGO in overseas departments and territories.
- Lobbying for the application of European policies in these overseas entities.
- Monitoring the application of Birds and Habitats Directives in metropolitan France, and the application of national laws. Court cases where necessary.
- Celebrated 100 years of existence in 2012:> 170 000 visitors at > 200 events.
- Organisation of first BirdFair 2012 near Nantes, 5000 visitors, theme: nature tourism.
- Participation in the FAME INTERREG project on the protection of seabirds from Ireland, UK, France Spain and Portugal.
- Obtained funding for the first project LIFE+ project linking actions in 3 overseas départements www.lifecapdom.org
- 15 000 signatures of an online petition lobbying for improvements in the CAP.
- LPO is officially recognized as an active partner of the National Biodiversity Strategy.
- Erika oil spill court case achievement: legal recognition of ecological prejudice. Awarded damages of 800 000€
- Highest number of members yet reached 46089.
- Manifesto prepared for the presidential elections 2012-2017: 30 proposals and 60 majors issues – an environmental barometer to follow this presidential period.
- Coordinator of 30 national species action plans for protected species e.g. Corncrake, Little bustard, Bearded vulture.
- Launch of L’Oiseau Magazine Junior for 7-12 year olds.
This page represents NGOs/civil society organisations and not nations or states.