Seychelles - Nature Seychelles
Founded in: 1988
Address: Roche Caiman Box 1310, Victoria, Mahe, SC
Tel/Fax: Tel:4601100/ 4601102
Mission of the organisation
Solving environmental problems through innovation for the benefit of people and wildlife.
- Protected Area Management - Cousin Island Special Reserve, and the Sanctuary at Roche Caiman..
- Marine Turtle Programme - Hawksbill turtles monitoring on Cousin
- Bird Conservation - Monitoring and management of threatened endemic land birds and their habitats on Cousin island Special Reserve; coordination of the Seychelles Magpie Recovery Team (SMART); monitoring of breeding species of seabirds on Cousin Island and coordination of Seychelles Seabird Group (SSG).
- Coral Reef Monitoring and Restoration around Cousin Island
- Green Health - Using key sites to promote health and well-being
- Providing sustainability solutions and know-how to both government and businesses
- Projects - Implementation of multiple donor funded projects
Awareness and Media - Regular columns and programmes in local media. Production of a full colour bi-annual conservation magazine. 3 Blogs and 2 websites actively maintained
- Eight-fold increase in nesting hawksbill turtles recorded on Cousin
- Nature therapy programme with local referral agencies in drug rehabilitation and mental health services funded by EU & the Australian Government successfully completed.
- Seychelles paradise flycatcher advocacy and awareness project successfully completed on La Digue. A community based organization registered and school club formed.
- Through the USAID and GEF-funded Reef Rescuers project 50,000 coral fragments raised in underwater nurseries, nearly a third transplanted in degraded sites
- Making Cousin Island carbon neutral, ongoing programme
- Registered as a Private Education Institute giving us the legal authority to operate as a teaching services provider in the Seychelles.
- Launch of a dedicated website for Cousin Island, 26th issue of Zwazo magazine produced