Poland – Polish Society for the Protection of Birds (OTOP)
Polish Society for the Protection of Birds (OTOP)
Mission of the organisation
- to protect birds and their habitats
- to establish and manage new bird reserves
- to lobby local authorities for the promotion and protection of Important Bird Areas
- to promote knowledge of birds and their life
- to prevent human activities which harm nature
- to support nature-friendly land-use
- to support research for bird protection
- to support the birdwatching movement
Have you heard about the Environmental Liability Directive? In a nutshell, it is a comprehensive EU-wide liability regime for environmental damage, which is based on the principle that the polluter pays, meaning that the one that caused the environmental damage is liable for its remediation. It entered into force in 2007. In an ideal world, this directive would prevent environmental damage to happen in the first place. But planet earth is far from utopic, and it turns out this piece of legislation is not as effective as we wished.
Only one day after world leaders agreed on a global deal to reverse the decline of biodiversity at COP15 in Montreal, environment ministers from across the EU are following suit to translate global ambition into strong regional policies. Today, at the European environment council, a majority of ministers expressed their support for a strong EU Nature Restoration Law in response to the climate and biodiversity emergencies.