West Africa Marine Programme Assistant
Wednesday, 7. March 2018 - 23:45
West Africa Marine Programme Assistant
• Location: Dakar, Senegal
• Working hours: Full time
• Contract: Two-year fixed term contract
• Gross Salary: €18,000 – €21,600 (depending on experience) per annum, plus 12% pension benefit.
BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership. Through our unique local-to-global approach, we deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife is seeking to recruit a motivated and skilled individual for the position of Programme Assistant to support the work of the Marine Programme in West Africa as well as to provide support to the Programme’s partners in the PRCM Region. With direct supervision from the West Africa Marine Programme Coordinator, the assistant will support a number of tasks, including liaise with partners, fieldwork and workshop logistics, administration, capacity building, advocacy, fundraising and communications. The Marine Programme Assistant will benefit from day-to-day basis training and gradually be involved in more technical and demanding tasks as the Programme expands.
The West Africa Marine Programme is a fast-growing marine programme focused in West Africa managing a number of marine conservation and advocacy projects. The programme is primarily focused on marine biodiversity conservation, in particularly seabirds and their marine and terrestrial habitats, working with a vast and diverse group of stakeholders in the region and elsewhere.
The main responsibilities of the West Africa Marine Programme Assistant will be as follows:
1. Support the West Africa Marine Programme Coordinator in the development and delivery of marine conservation targets in West Africa;
2. Assist the work with key stakeholders in the region, primarily with local civil society organizations, as well as other key national environmental players or agencies, private sector, donors and governments;
3. Undertake a range of administrative support activities, including travel and accommodation for meetings, fieldwork logistics, venue and catering preparation of the various finance and administration workshops/meetings;
4. Support the West Africa Marine Programme Coordinator to mobilise resources (funds, partnerships and information) for marine conservation in West Africa;
5. Assist in policy and advocacy work to strengthen West Africa Marine Programme’s conservation and institutional objectives;
6. Build and maintain links with the media in the region;
7. Support the development of communication products to profile the West Africa Marine Programme’s activities, outcomes and success stories.
Qualification and Requirements:
• Undergraduate or post-graduate degree (MSc) or proven equivalent experience, in Natural Sciences, Wildlife Management, Finance & Administration, Communication applied to marine conservation;
• Experience or clear understanding of seabird conservation issues (background internship, fieldwork, thesis/dissertation, etc. on seabird or marine conservation);
• Excellent track record of professional communication skills both verbally and in writing, and ability to write clearly and succinctly for the media;
• Ability to work with a variety of people including government officials, international and national NGOs, local stakeholders, experts and consultants;
• Proven knowledge of the environmental sector in the PRCM region;
• Ancillary qualifications related to marketing and communication will be an asset;
• Good organizational and planning skills and an ability to adhere to deadlines;
• Good communication skills, particularly in writing reports/minutes relating meetings and Newsletters;
• Written and spoken fluency in both French and English, and ability to work in other widely used languages in the region;
• High level of computer literacy and numeracy;
• From time to time some travel might be required at national and regional level.
Application: Applications should include a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and contact details of two referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity. Applications should be sent by email, stating where the advert was seen, to: email@example.com.
Eligible Applicants: Residents of Senegal, and nationals of Mauritania, Guinea Bissau and Cape Verde who can legally work in Senegal.
Application Deadline: 7th March 2018
Interviews: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held during the week of 12th March 2018.