Ocean Policy Intern
Thursday, 5. March 2020 - 23:45
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia, in Brussels, is looking for:
Ocean Policy Intern
• Location: Brussels, Belgium
• Full time: 37.5 hours per week
• Contract: 6 month contract
• Salary: €1200
• Start date: April 2020
BirdLife ECA is a Partnership of 47 national conservation organisations and a leader in bird conservation. Our unique local to global approach enables us to deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife ECA is one of the six regional Secretariats that compose BirdLife International, the global authority on the status of bird species. Based in Brussels, it supports the European and Central Asian Partnership and is present in 46 countries including all EU Member States.
With more than 4.100 staff in Europe, 2 million members and tens of thousands of skilled volunteers, BirdLife Europe and Central Asia, together with its national Partners, owns or manages more than 6,000 nature sites totalling 320 000 hectares.
The selected intern will work in the policy team, line managed by the Senior Marine Policy Officer.
The intern’s responsibilities will include:
- Organise meetings, circulate agenda’s and note taking;
- Attend meetings of the policy officers with actors in the EU institutions, specifically in the European Parliament and related to marine policies;
- Carry out research and prepare draft reports;
- Assist work with partners where needed;
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and other materials, etc.
PROFILE OF THE INTERN
Qualification: Educational Qualifications/Vocational Training
- At least a relevant Master’s Degree
- Knowledge of EU environmental policy, especially EU ocean related policies
- High levels of flexibility, dedication and sense of responsibility
- Well organized and sense to detail
Personal and Social Skills
Good team work skills, ability to work independently and take initiative. Well-developed social skills. Outgoing and communicative. Ability to work in an international environment.
Very good written and spoken English. Other EU languages will be an asset.
Information Technology (IT) Skills
Perfect command of Microsoft Office package and main web-based applications.
What we offer
We offer a 6 month paid internship
Starting day: as soon as possible after 1st April 2020.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a CV and a comprehensive cover letter (all in English) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applications with a max 1 A4 page CV and a 1 page personal letter answering the following questions:
1) What problems do seabirds face at sea & what solutions do you think we should have to save seabirds?
2) How will you contribute to saving seabirds by working with the policy team?
will be considered.
Please include in the email subject field: Ocean Policy Intern
Closing date: Thursday 5th March 2020.
Please consider that applications received after the closing date will be automatically discarded.
Shortlisting is based on CV and cover letter. Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held in the week of Monday 9th of March 2020 in person or via telephone/Skype.