Media and Communications Officer, Brussels
1. About the job
Based in our Brussels office, this position involves a lot of writing, producing, media monitoring, strategizing and cake-eating. We’re looking to hire a communications rock star with a black belt in media relations to join our team.
2. About you
Efficient, well-structured, and highly organized, you’re able to juggle many different projects at the same time. You’re a proactive team player who isn’t scared of stepping in to support your colleagues. In addition to writing and distributing press materials, you’ll be responsible for developing and implementing a media strategy. You’ll also contribute to the development of national and EU-wide advocacy campaigns on a variety of environmental issues.
3. About BirdLife Europe
BirdLife Europe is a Partnership of 48 national conservation organisations in Europe and Central Asia and a leader in bird conservation. Our unique local to global approach enables us to deliver high impact and long term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife Europe is one of the six regional Secretariats that compose BirdLife International, the global authority on the status of bird species. Based in Brussels, it supports the European and Central Asian Partnership and is present in 48 countries including all EU Member States.
With more than 4,100 staff in Europe, 2 million members and tens of thousands of skilled volunteers, BirdLife Europe, together with its national Partners owns or manages more than 6,000 nature sites totaling 320,000 hectares.
In BirdLife Europe you will join a dynamic team of professionals based in Brussels and Cambridge who together support the BirdLife Partnership in Europe and Central Asia to protect nature and birds, through policy, science, conservation measures, organisational support, helping them to increase the visibility of the BirdLife Partnership work and raise the needed funds.
4. Key responsibilities
- Write press releases, media packages, op-eds and articles
- Develop relations with journalists, with a focus on Brussels media and EU correspondents
- Respond to media opportunities and other incoming enquiries from journalists
- Monitor media coverage and prepare regular media reports
- Develop and implement Europe-wide communications campaigns, with a focus on media strategies
- Create content for social media (draft and edit messages, prepare visuals)
- Update both the website and the Intranet
- Maintain relationships with BirdLife Partners and support them with their communications work
5. Qualifications required:
- Good English writing skills, with a clear and engaging style
- Strategic mind to develop national or EU-wide communications campaigns
- Good social media and marketing skills
- Experience in traditional media
- Ability to make complex policy and scientific issue easy to understand to a variety of audiences
- Good project management and organizational skills to coordinate multiple projects efficiently
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in European languages other than English
- Advanced graphic design skills, with a focus on the Adobe CC suite
The gross salary is between 40,000 EUR and 44,000 EUR gross per annum according to personal experience (double holiday pay, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers) under Belgian employment contract (1 year renewable).
7. How to apply:
Please submit your full CV and a comprehensive cover letter (all in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the post, your vision about BirdLife Europe and Central Asia communications work and outlining the qualifications experience knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role.
Please send the required documents to: email@example.com and include in the subject “Media and Communications Officer”.
Closing date: 15th January 2018 at midnight (CET). Please consider that applications received after the closing date will be automatically discarded.
8. Short listing and interviews:
Shortlisting is based on CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will be asked to attend face to face interviews and perform an additional test. Travel support or possibility of remote interview may be offered to candidates from abroad.
Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted.
Interview days: week of the 29th January, in Brussels (exact date will be communicated to the successful candidates).