Master's scholarship - Minimising bycatch of seabirds and sea turtles in West African industrial fisheries
Monday, 15. February 2021 - 23:45
Contest for awarding a master's scholarship
The project “Minimising bycatch of seabirds and sea turtles in West African industrial fisheries.”
The accidental capture of seabirds and sea turtles in industrial fishing in West Africa is a major threat to the viability of their populations. This master's degree aims to contribute to the conservation of seabirds and sea turtles in West Africa by helping to improve knowledge of the impact caused by incidental fishing. As part of this project, the University of Barcelona will fund two students from West African countries to study a master’s degree on Biodiversity. We are looking for highly motivated candidates with the availability and capacity to perform laboratory analysis and data analysis. This training represents a unique opportunity to develop work with multidisciplinary research teams with extensive experience in this scientific area, allowing also to enjoy the facilities of the University of Barcelona.
1. DURATION AND AMOUNT OF THE MASTER SCHOLARSHIP TO BE ASSIGNED:
The duration of the scholarship is one year, and the amount will be 1000 € / month plus the annual payment for the master's registration.
Potential field actions onboard a fishing vessel arising from this master's project will be funded by the project.
Can apply to this contest:
• Citizens of African nationality living in Senegal, Mauritania, Gambia, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea and Sierra Leone, under 30y, with completed degree and without a master's degree.
3. HOST INSTITUTION
The host institution will be the University of Barcelona - Faculty of Biology.
4. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
• Degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Engineering or similar area;
• Computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential, giving preference to candidates with knowledge and experience in statistics and experimental design;
• Good command of Spanish, both spoken and written;
• Good command of the English language, both spoken and written;
• Capacity for organization and communication;
• Ability to work in a team and to interact with other students;
• Ability to prepare technical reports and outreach materials;
• Ability to work onboard fishing vessels as observer;
• Knowledge in the field of ornithology, giving preference to candidates with experience of internships and / or work in seabirds and sea turtles;
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience in data analysis and / or scientific writing.
5. FORMALIZATION OF APPLICATIONS
Candidates must submit their application from the date of publication of this notice and until 15 February 2021, (1) their Curriculum Vitae, (2) certificate degree, (3) a letter of application motivation and (4) two recommendation letters from people in the academic / professional field.
6. APPLICATION PERIOD
The contest will be open from the day of publication of this notice until the 15th of February 2021. If the ideal candidate is not found, the vacancy will remain unfilled until the next call.
7. ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The documents requested in point 5 must be sent with the subject “Master's scholarship UB bycatch” to the email firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received within the deadline mentioned above.
8. SELECTION AND EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS
The selection and evaluation of applications leading to the award of the scholarship will be carried out by a jury made up of researchers from the Universities of Barcelona.
Applications will be scored from 1 (minimum) to 10 (maximum) mainly based on the two evaluation criteria considered:
A. Merit of the candidate (certificate and final qualification of degree, experience working with birds or/and turtles and curriculum vitae)
B. Motivation and ability to carry out advanced research (letter of motivation, letters of recommendation, professional experience relevant to the subject of the master's degree)
Candidates will be ordered according to the classification in these two criteria and shortlisted candidates will also be evaluated through an interview conducted by Skype as well as by eventually enrolling on board a fishing vessel as an observer for some days/weeks.
9. DISCLOSURE OF RESULTS
The results of the evaluation will be communicated by email.