Head of PRCM Region - based in Dakar, Senegal
Wednesday, 4. October 2017 - 23:45
Head of PRCM Region - Dakar Office
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an experienced, passionate and result oriented individual to Head the BirdLife Dakar Office - in charge of the PCRM Region (i.e. Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania, Senegal). The main responsibilities for this position have the following main overarching expectations:
a. Provide leadership to staff and manage BirdLife team in Dakar and the delivery of BirdLife programme priorities in the PRCM region.
b. Facilitate the development and implementation of BirdLife’s conservation strategy and business plan for the PRCM region
c. Lead fundraising and capacity development efforts for the sustainability of BirdLife’s conservation agenda in the PRCM region.
d. Develop strategic alliances with relevant entities to advance the BirdLife mission in the PRCM region, raise BirdLife’s profile and represent BirdLife International in the PRCM region.
e. Support successful delivery of MAVA’s conservation goals for the PRCM region.
Specifically, we are looking for an individual with the following skills and ability in:
Leadership and Management
• Manage overall operations of the BirdLife team in Dakar and ensure integration within the overall BirdLife Africa and Global Secretariat’s systems and procedures
• Provide leadership and effective manage staff in line with BirdLife HR policy.
• Ensure staff in Dakar work efficiently, and are well integrated into the Africa and Global BirdLife Secretariat, in delivering their annual work plans.
• Ensure effective risk assessment and mitigation planning for BirdLife team in Dakar, as well as compliance with BirdLife office procedures.
Conservation Strategy and Business Plan
• Facilitate and coordinate the development and implementation of a conservation strategy that is informed by BirdLife strategy, Programmes and Africa Partnership priorities for the PRCM region.
• Lead the development and manage implementation of a business plan for the PRCM region, ensuring the office is adequately staffed and financed.
Fundraising and Project Development
• Facilitate fundraising for the implementation of the business planning, including smooth running of the BirdLife operations in Dakar.
• Cultivate relationships with donors and build strategic partnerships for purposes of resources mobilization for the PRCM region
• Lead the development of large project applications for the PRCM region
• Oversee the management of projects and ensure timely delivery of high quality reports and other project deliverables
Partnerships and Network Development
• Foster strategic partnerships with relevant state and non-state actors in the PRCM region (government and intergovernmental organisations, national and regional institutions, development agencies, donor community and private sector) towards achievement of BirdLife’s objectives.
• Promote capacity development of target stakeholders, particularly civil society, communities, government and private sector in the PRCM region.
• Provide strategic guidance and support synergistic implementation of MAVA’s funded Outcome Action Plans and Projects in the PRCM region.
• Represent BirdLife and actively ensure relevant participation in the governance and management structures set up for delivery of MAVA’s conservation goals in West Africa
• Oversee the development of BirdLife Africa Partnership in the PRCM region
Image and Reputation
• Raise BirdLife’s profile in the PRCM region and beyond
• Represent BirdLife International and the Africa Partnership in the PRCM region
• Promote and safeguard BirdLife’s reputation and credibility
• Coordinate emerging conservation priorities in the PRCM region
• Any other duties as delegated by the Head of Conservation (Africa)
Qualification and Requirements:
• Postgraduate qualification in either Natural and social science, international relations, international law
• Good knowledge, sympathy to and experience in the NGO movement and sharing and understanding of BirdLife values, mission and strategy model and way of working. Excellent understanding of conservation, development and political issues in Africa.
• Significant relevant experience at senior management level, in marine and coastal conservation (with demonstrable experience in Africa) and organisational management.
• Proven skills in programme development, development and management of large scale projects and fundraising; strategic management, networking and negotiation. Ability to act independently and basic financial literacy. Proven skills in managing multicultural teams.
• Flair for diplomacy and excellent communication and networking skills.
• Ability to promote BirdLife to senior level stakeholders in international organisations, government, private sector and civil society.
• Ability to write professional articles and give presentations to international audiences.
• Ability to look at the strategic and operational dimensions of issues and plan accordingly.
• Ability to analyse and find solutions to complex practical problems.
• Good skills in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and internet use.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English, French and possibly Portuguese or Spanish
• Frequent travel, up to 10 weeks per year
A detailed job description can be found here.
Application deadline: 4th October 2017
The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal.
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International/Africa Division terms and conditions.
• Length/duration of this position: 2 years, renewable
• Working hours – full time.
• Date when it is the job expected to start: November 2017
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the to: email@example.com by 4th October 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.