Friday, 29. November 2019 - 23:45
• Location: Brussels, Belgium
• Full time: 37.5 hours per week
• Duration: 1 year fixed-term contract
• Salary: 3000 to 3500EUR/month (depending on experience) and benefits
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia is the European and Central Asian Division of BirdLife International, and is one of the six regional offices of BirdLife International, a global Partnership of autonomous, national non-governmental conservation organisations, with a large grassroots membership in 115 countries and territories.
BirdLife’s mission is to conserve wild birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, by working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources.
1 OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
Working within a highly focused and collaborative Administration & Finance team, the Finance Officer is responsible for maintaining the finances, accounting, administrative and statutory records and procedures in order provide solid day-to-day financial management and record-keeping and meet all legal requirements.
2 MAIN DUTIES/WORK PROGRAMME RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Everyday accounting data entry, sales and purchase ledger, journal entry, encoding invoices, carrying out bank payments and reconciliations, updating cash management, staff expenses, verification of incoming payments, financial excerpts, operating the accounting system;
2. Support to Project Managers to produce project budgets and reports to Donors, including monitoring of project expenses and core recoveries
3. Provision of financial information and reports to senior managers and to the ECA Committee in support of monthly monitoring of risks and decision-making
4. Preparation of Financial Reports to the ECA Committee and Board of Directors of Stichting BirdLife Europe
5. Support to Regional Director to implement BirdLife Europe financial policies and procedures, in compliance with both Belgian and European legislation and BirdLife International policies.
6. Ensure monthly closing of books and the necessary reconciliations, as well as monthly reporting to the Finance and Administration Department in the Global headquarters.
7. Prepare and revise contracts and procurement tenders and maintain the contract database
8. Perform administrative and contractual checks and controls, ensuring compliance with Belgian and European laws, including the statutes of the Association, under direction of the Regional Director
9. Maintain relations with banks and external consultants on all financial matters, including the external accountant helping with bookkeeping
10. Support the preparation of the regarding European Commission operating grant report, including evidence gathering.
11. Work closely with all levels of staff to assist their information needs, including project balances for those managing projects;
3 QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- A university degree in accounting, finance of business administration
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience after completion of the university studies, preferably in the not-for-profit sector;
- Good knowledge of Belgian and EU financial regulations;
- Experience with accounting software (Winbooks); strong command of MS Office, in particular Excel (ability to create and use Pivot Tables and formulas is a must)
- Accuracy and able to work in an independent way;
- Very good command of English and French;
- Strong sense of duty and responsibility;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Have the ability to work individually or within a team environment, good interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate, motivate and advise;
- Flexibility and adaptability (multiple assignments, working under pressure, responsiveness to requests, follow-up of decisions);
- Appreciation of cross-cultural sensitivities with the ability to exercise discretion and show sound judgement;
- Strong self-motivation and curiosity;
- Ideally the world of conservation and the protection of our natural environment would be of interest, if not a passion.
Closing date: 29 November 2019 at midnight CET. Please consider that applications received after the closing date will be automatically discarded.
Application: Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter (all in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: email@example.com
Please include in the email subject: Finance Officer.
Date of the interviews: 9 December 2019