Finance and Admin Officer, PRCM Region– based in Dakar, Senegal
Wednesday, 4. October 2017 - 23:45
Finance and Admin Officer, PRCM Region– Dakar Office
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced individual for the position of Finance and Administration Officer. The main responsibility of the individual will be to ensure effective finance and administration management of the BirdLife team in Dakar and its projects and programmes, as well as provide finance and administration support to Partners in the PRCM Region (i.e. Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau, Mauritania, Senegal).
The general duties include:
• Financial Accounting/Financial Procedures
o Prepare monthly accounts for project and core expenditures and ensure their timely submission after review by the Head of PRCM Region to the Finance coordinator.
o Ensure effective and efficient filing of finance and administration documents in compliance with donor contracts and BirdLife procedures.
o Prepare financial and budgetary reports and related statements to update senior management and technical officers to ensure coordination and decision-making.
o Refer for action to financial rules and regulations, giving appropriate explanations and suggesting remedial or alternative action as appropriate; verify availability of funds and provide financial clearance on requests/documents within authorized limits.
• Administrative Support
o Provide administrative support for BirdLife team in Dakar.
o Provide personal administrative support to the Head of PRCM Region
o Deal with logistics, contribute to budgeting, manage petty cash and procurements and ensure smooth administrative functioning of the BirdLife team in Dakar.
o Provide administrative support to BirdLife field staff, visitors, and members of the BirdLife African network (or other NGOs) as appropriate.
• Conferences, workshops and regional meetings.
o Support the organisation of events: conferences, workshops and regional meetings.
o Co-ordinate travel arrangements and related matters for BirdLife team in Dakar personnel.
o Support to other Organisations affiliated to BirdLife with co-ordination of events and workshops as may be requested from time to time
• Personnel Issues
o Deal with all personnel issues, i.e. recruitment, induction, staff training, medical insurance, pensions, contracts preparations, work permits for expatriate staff, staff handbook and ensure they are up to date.
o Provide financial support for the sub regional office by preparing requisitions, processing expense claims for BirdLife team in Dakar personnel and ensuring salaries and emoluments are done on time
• Ensuring compliance with local labour laws and other legal issues
o Facilitate the registration of BirdLife in the country and ensure it complies with all government directives pertaining to NGOs in the country.
o Ensure deduction of taxes and other requisite benefits and payment made to the relevant government departments on time.
• IT Support and Data Bases
o Co-ordinate IT support within the office and ensure back up is up to date in liaison with all Officers
o Maintain and update relevant databases e.g. Partner contacts
• Fundraising/Grant Disbursements
o Supporting calls for proposals and review of grant applications
o Contracting and disbursing grants
o Reviewing grantees’ financial reports
Qualifications and skills:
• University degree in Finance or business administration, accounting or in other related field.
• Finance or professional accounting certification, ACCA,CPA
• A proven track record of relevant experience in applying administrative and financial procedures through progressive work in finance and accounting activities.
• Good knowledge of financial and programme management principles and practices.
• In-depth knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and good computer literacy in all standard Microsoft Office applications
• High motivation and desire to achieve, excellent attention to detail
• Ability to work to high standards within tight deadlines
• Ability to analyse complex problems, and generate creative and pragmatic solutions.
• Good organizational skills, flexibility and ability to work independently.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with fluency in English and French
• Experience in world class finance and accounting system and Senegalese laws and regulations
• Master’s degree is an added advantage
A detailed job description can be found here.
Application deadline: 4th October 2017
The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal. Preference is therefore for residents of Senegal or those who can legally work in Senegal.
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International, Africa Division terms and conditions.
• Gross annual Salary: 10,000-18,000 Euros, depending on experience
• Length/duration of this position: 24th Months (renewable)
• Working hours – Full time
• Date when it is the job expected to start: 20th November 2017
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of two referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email to: email@example.com by 4th October 2017
Interviews: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted