European Fundraising Consultant 2021
Thursday, 17. December 2020 - 23:45
Terms of Reference
BirdLife ECA is a Partnership of 48 national conservation organizations and a leader in bird conservation. Our unique local to global approach enables us to deliver high impact and long term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife ECA is one of the six regional Secretariats that compose BirdLife International, the global authority on the status of bird species. Based in Brussels, it supports the European and Central Asian Partnership and is present in 47 countries including all EU Member States.
With more than 4.100 staff in Europe, 2 million members and tens of thousands of skilled volunteers, BirdLife Europe and Central Asia, together with its national Partners, owns or manages more than 6,000 nature sites totaling 320 000 hectares..
Overall purpose of job
To develop funding for the implementation of the European Programme in close cooperation with the Regional Director of the European Division and Division staff, ensuring these fit with funders’ requirements.
1. To support the European and Central Asian team to apply for and report on the annual Operating Grant from the European Commission, DG Environment;
2. To assist the European and Central Asian Division and Global secretariat in identifying and developing funding proposals to cover core work not eligible within the Operating Grant Agreement as well as authorized projects in line with programme priorities.
3. To assist national European and Central Asian Partners in developing funding proposals for the implementation of the European Programmes. To help ensure that funders’ requirements for reporting are met in a timely manner and assist Partners and staff in this area, if needed;
4. To co-ordinate and provide fundraising related information to the European and Central Asian Partnership and global fundraising colleagues, as appropriate, and share fundraising related information with other Secretariat staff and to support capacity development within the secretariat and Partnership.
5. To maximize opportunities for securing resources from Europe for other regions of the world by researching opportunities and facilitating putting proposals together;
6. To prepare a set of standard texts and materials for presenting Birdlife in proposals and keep those updated.
1. University degree preferably with some link to Business Administration, or other relevant qualification.
2. Track record of fundraising and proposal writing with EC, National Governments, foundations.
3. Familiarity with EU, national government(s) and foundations funding policies.
4. Being able to understand priorities in funding needs and fitting Birdlife needs to funders’ objectives.
5. Proven networking experience in multi-national environments.
6. Passion, dedication and understanding for environment and wildlife/bird conservation issues highly desirable.
7. Sympathy to and experience in the NGO movement and understanding of the Birdlife model, principles and way of working.
8. Ability to work with little supervision.
9. Must be adaptable and culturally sensitive, and able to pursue new and unfamiliar challenges;
10. Fluency in English and preferably another European language (Dutch, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, German).
Limits of authority
All proposals to be approved by the Regional Director of the European Division.
Deadline for application
17th December 2020
Prospective consultants are invited to make an offer specifying the following:
- Number of man-days they would be ready to provide over 1 year, not exceeding 125
- Daily rate and total proposed budget, VAT excluded
- Competence/experience of the person who would actually be providing the service; CV and cover letter describing how the service is going to be rendered to be attached
- Commitment to pursue the above-mentioned objectives for the duration of the project and availability for a potential second year of engagement (funding dependent);
- Date when consultant would be able to start.
Offers must be sent in electronic form to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org