Communications Officer – Digital campaigning
BirdLife Europe in Brussels is looking for a Communications Officer – Digital campaigning.
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia is the European and Central Asian Division of BirdLife International, and is one of the six regional offices of BirdLife International, a global Partnership of autonomous, national non-governmental conservation organisations, with a large grassroots membership in 120 countries and territories
BirdLife’s mission is to conserve wild birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, by working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources.
BirdLife has an international team of permanent staff covering conservation and science, policy and advocacy, capacity building, fundraising, communication, finance and administration supporting the 49 European and Central Asia Birdlife Partners.
We are looking for a dynamic and digital savvy Communications Officer with commitment and capacity to grasp and respond to the variety of strategic communications goals and challenges of BirdLife in Europe and Central Asia.
- OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Working within a highly focused small team, the Communications Officer will work closely with the Head of Communications and colleagues, providing digital editorial, strategic, creative and operational support (including analytics & evidence gathering) across our BirdLife Europe’s work.
S/he is responsible for engaging BirdLife Europe’s various internal and external audiences online, through creative use and effective management of digital channels, including the website, social media and blogs.
With excellent writing, copyediting and proofreading skills and sound technical ability, s/he creates high quality written and multimedia content.
- MAIN DUTIES
- Develop and implement BirdLife Europe’s social media and digital campaigning strategy and initiatives.
- Contribute to the development and drafting of communication plans and advocacy strategies
- Help build digital campaign tools and actions
- Develop and maintain BirdLife Europe’s blogs and websites, including restructuring sections of the website, producing new content or updating existing content, and creating campaign-specific websites or web pages
- Actively manage social media channels, produce new content for them and grow their follower base
- Maintain awareness of and familiarity with the latest tools and trends related to social media, analytics and multimedia (graphic design, layout, video production) to keep BirdLife’s digital presence innovative and compelling
- Plan and develop multimedia communications materials, including videos, photos, infographics, story maps
- Design, produce and edit layouts, images and other graphics (using tools like Canva, Spark, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)
- Design, produce and edit videos, montages and animations (using tools like Premiere)
- Provide support to BirdLife Europe and Central Asia’s Partners on communications-related activities
- Provide creative, editorial and operational support for communications projects and events, in cooperation with colleagues from other departments or offices
- Keep track of analytics for all websites and social media channels
- Support the Head of Communications with any other communications projects and activities and perform other duties and tasks as required, consistent with the skills and expertise of the post holder, in non-routine circumstances
- Host occasional capacity development workshops and training sessions to share best practices and the latest tools and trends with regards to multimedia and online communications
- REQUIRED PROFILE
- University degree in communications, journalism, marketing or other relevant discipline
- Fluent in English (additional languages are an asset)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in digital communications and/or marketing with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit sector
- Proven ability to write and deliver effective, audience-focused communications and campaigns
- A strong track record of effectively using and developing a presence on, key social media platforms (including Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter and Instagram) to build relationships and share information
- Good written and oral communication skills with the ability to understand complex policy and scientific issues and to articulate these in a simple, catchy way including using story-telling, case studies, illustrations, infographics, videos and social media
- Communications ‘flair’ with the ability to think creatively, spot a good story and communicate this in the most interesting and/or effective way
- Good interpersonal, networking and team working skills with the ability to collaborate with, motivate and advice others (colleagues, BirdLife Partners and allies, stakeholders)
- Demonstrable ability to create and follow work plans and prioritize own workload with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrable ability to react quickly to unforeseen/unplanned communications opportunities
- Flexibility and adaptability (multiple assignments, working under pressure, responsiveness to requests, follow-up of decisions)
- Openness and creativity: capacity to propose and integrate new ideas and approaches
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends and to be contacted out of office hours in particular policy occasions
- Appreciation of cross-cultural sensitivities with the ability to exercise discretion and show sound judgement
- Strong self-motivation and curiosity
- Problem solving attitude and ability to resolve potential conflicts.
- Good understanding of Nature conservation challenges and priorities in Europe and Central Asia
- WHAT WE OFFER
Duration: 1 year (renewable) Belgian contract
Working hours: full-time
Salary range 3000 to 3200 EUR/month and benefits
- HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter (all in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: email@example.com
Please include in the email subject: Communications Officer – Digital Campaigning
Closing date: 09 September 2018 at midnight CET. Please consider that applications received after the closing date will be automatically discarded.
- SHORTLISTING AND INTERVIEWS
Shortlisting is based on CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will be asked to attend face to face interviews and perform an additional test. Travel support or possibility of remote interview may be offered to candidates from abroad.
Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted.
Interview days: 18 September 2018.
Start day: as soon as possible.