Communications Officer - Dakar
Monday, 18. March 2019 - 23:45
• Location: Dakar, Senegal
• Full time: 40 hours per week
• Contract: 2 year fixed term
• Salary: GBP 25,200 – 30,000 annual gross plus competitive 12% pension benefit
BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership. Through our unique local-to-global approach, we deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
As the communications officer, you will engage, educate and inform targeted external audiences about the BirdLife Partnership’s work and priorities, through creative use of various mediums, including the website, social media and print materials.
Additionally, you will support the implementation of the communication components of the MAVA funded projects and visibility of BirdLife’s work in Africa
• Source and write content for publication across BirdLife’s various external communication channels, including the website, newsletter and magazine, in both French and English
• Ensure additional content relevant to French-speaking countries is translated accurately and to a professional standard
• Assist the Communications Manager with the development and implementation of BirdLife Africa’s communications strategy for the BirdLife Partnership in Africa, with a particular focus on spreading the message across Francophone Africa.
• Provide creative, editorial and operational support for communications projects and events, in cooperation with relevant colleagues
• Supporting the implementation of the communications components of the MAVA funded projects in West Africa
• Drive forward BirdLife Africa’s digital communication strategy, with emphasis on West Africa, leading on the development of the region’s social media presence, leading on the delivery of newsletters, and working with relevant stakeholders to devise new and innovative ways to keep BirdLife’s digital presence innovative and compelling
• Provide assistance to Partners in developing communication strategies and the production of communication tools and materials that are needed to meet specific national requirements
• Work alongside the Internal Communications Officer to ensure the priorities and accomplishments of BirdLife Africa Partners are communicated on a global level, and to increase awareness and usage of the BirdLife extranet, and accompanying tools, across the region
• Ensure lessons learned, best practices and case studies are captured from the partners and communicated among partners and public audience
• Build relationships with regional media, and assist in the translation, regionalisation and dissemination of global press releases
• Provide assistance in organizing interviews, press briefings, roundtable discussions, launches and other major advocacy and awareness events
• Assist with monitoring analytics, data entry and overall management of communications database
• Any other duties assigned by the line manager
• As part of the One BirdLife Team, support the Communications Manager with any other communications projects and activities and perform other duties and tasks as required, consistent with the skills and expertise of the post holder, in non-routine circumstances
The ideal candidate will have
• Relevant degree in journalism, media, communication or other relevant field. An additional qualification in the field of conservation and experience related to training would be an advantage
• Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms
• Communication experience, preferably in the conservation sector with track record of producing high-quality communications outputs to deadline
• Good organisational and planning skills, with motivation and ability to adhere to deadlines, ability to work with diverse sectors
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
• Good computer skills including the use of internet, social media and web design; video editing skills will be advantageous
• Fluency in oral and written French and English, speaking Portuguese will be advantageous
• Willingness and ability to travel
See the full job description.
Closing date: 18 March 2019
Application: Applications should include a covering letter summarising the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and contact details of two referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity. Applications should be sent by email, stating where the advert was seen, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.