Communications Officer, Africa
Sunday, 18. November 2018 - 23:45
Communications Officer, Africa
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced individual for the position of Communications Officer. The main responsibilities will be to engage, educate and inform targeted external audiences about the BirdLife Partnership’s work and priorities, through creative use of various mediums, including the website, social media and print materials. Additionally, also to work with global communication teams and other stakeholders to support the implementation of BirdLife International Communication Strategy (2018-2022).
• Provide creative, editorial and operational support for communications projects and events, in cooperation with relevant colleagues
• Become the focal point for communications for BirdLife Partners in the Africa region, developing and maintaining contacts and assisting in the amplification of national issues on a regional and global scale
• Create awareness of the BirdLife Communication Strategy (2018-2022) within the Partnership and ensure it is delivered with consistency
• Maintain awareness of and familiarity with the latest cutting edge digital and social media tools and developments to keep BirdLife’s digital presence innovative and compelling
• Source content for publication across various BirdLife channels, including social media, the website, newsletter and magazine
• Develop and maintain the BirdLife International website, including updating and producing new content and campaign-specific websites
• Solicit articles and communication resources from Partners through regular skype/phone calls to Communication Focal Points
• Provide assistance to Partners in developing communication strategies
• Provide reasonable assistance to Partners in the production of communication tools and materials that are needed to meet specific national requirements
• Update the Africa Contacts Booklet (E-Copy)
• Manage, promote and ensure increased use of BirdLife’s internal communication channels
• Ensure lessons learned, best practices, case studies are captured from the partners and communicated among partners and public audience
• Build relationships with regional media, and assist in the dissemination of global press releases
• Provide assistance in organizing interviews, press briefings, roundtable discussions, launches and other major advocacy and awareness events
• Updating the mailing/distribution lists
• Assist with monitoring analytics, data entry and overall management of communications database
• Work with service providers i.e. designers to prepare communications materials
• As part of the One BirdLife Team, support the Senior Communications Officer with any other communications projects and activities and perform other duties and tasks as required, consistent with the skills and expertise of the post holder, in non-routine circumstances.
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
• Relevant BA/BSC degree in journalism, media, communication or other relevant field. An additional qualification in the field of conservation and experience related to training would be an advantage
• Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms
• Communication experience, preferably in the conservation sector with track record of producing high-quality communications outputs to deadline
• Good organisational and planning skills, with motivation and ability to adhere to deadlines, ability to work with diverse sectors
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
• Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work independently
• Good computer skills including the use of internet, social media and web design; video editing skills will be advantageous
• Fluency in oral and written French and English, speaking Portuguese will be advantageous
• Willingness and ability to travel
Application deadline: 18 November 2018
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International, Africa Division terms and conditions.
• Length/duration of this position:2 years
• Working hours: Full time 40 hours per week
• Date when the job expected to start: 1 December 2018
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the to: email@example.com by the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.