CEPF Small Grants Manager
Thursday, 13. June 2019 - 23:45
CEPF Small Grants Manager
• Location: Cambridge, UK
• Full time: 35 hours per week
• Contract: 2 year fixed term contract (with a view to extension)
• Salary: circa £32,000 pro rata plus competitive 12% pension benefit
• Annual Leave: 25 days pro rata in year 1, increasing by 1 day pa to 28 days
BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership. Through our unique local-to-global approach, we deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
Since 2012 BirdLife has led the Regional Implementation Team (RIT) in the Mediterranean Basin Biodiversity Hotspot for the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF). CEPF is a joint programme of l’Agence Française de Développement, Conservation International, the European Union, the Global Environment Facility, the Government of Japan and the World Bank. A fundamental goal is to ensure civil society is engaged in biodiversity conservation.
The BirdLife RIT is responsible for distributing CEPF funds to civil society organizations, in the form of small grants, for eligible countries (currently Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cabo Verde, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Montenegro, Morocco, North Macedonia and Tunisia). Grants are awarded through open calls for proposals, for conservation projects that are in-line with the CEPF Investment Strategy for the Mediterranean Basin.
BirdLife is seeking to recruit an experienced individual for the position of Small Grants Manager to provide administrative and financial oversight of the CEPF small grant mechanism in the Mediterranean Basin.
This person will ensure the effective day-to-day running of the small grant mechanism by coordinating inputs from RIT members, and supporting grantees and applicants. The Small Grants Manager will be an integral member of the RIT, with the following main duties:
• Coordinate and improve core processes such as application reviews, grant contracting and monitoring, ensuring they comply with both BirdLife and CEPF requirements
• Administer the financial aspects such as conducting risk assessments, creating grant agreements, managing the disbursal of funds and assisting with audits
• Manage administrative aspects such as maintaining filing systems and databases, creating tracking processes, updating tools and templates
• Support the management of individual grants, such as reviewing reports and ensuring all documentation is correctly completed and in-line with BirdLife and CEPF terms
• Assist with capacity building of grantees by creating guidance documents, conducting trainings and financial reviews during site visits
• Support the evolution of the Mediterranean portfolio by reviewing all small grant applications and attending strategic meetings
• Manage the reporting for the programme by submitting reports to CEPF, maintaining a dashboard of small grant data and inputting to other donor reports
The ideal candidate will have
• Higher-level education at degree-level (or equivalent), in environmental conservation, finance or other related field
• A proven record of accomplishment in project, grant or financial management (professional qualifications are desirable)
• High motivation, attention to detail, diligence, excellent organisational skills and ability to work to high standards with tight deadlines
• Excellent communication skills. Written and oral English, and other Mediterranean languages desirable e.g. French, Arabic
• Ability to work independently and with team members based in different locations.
• Computer literacy in all standard Microsoft office applications, especially Excel
• Ability to travel at least 2 times per year (normally 1 week per trip)
• The right to work in the UK
See the full job description
Closing date: 13 June 2019
Application: Applications should include a covering letter summarising the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and contact details of two referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity. Applications should be sent by email, stating where the advert was seen, to: email@example.com
Interviews: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held from 27 June 2019 onward.