Call for tender - Ocean Consultant
Thursday, 19. December 2019 - 23:45
• Location: Not specified
• Full time: Not Specified
• Contract: 2 month consultant contract
• Salary: €8,400 over two months
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia is looking for a consultant that could provide full time assistance for a period between end of December to 29th of February, to support its work on oceans, to support the Policy and Communications Officer.
The consultant would ideally be based in Europe with the possibility to travel to Brussels.
2 OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Ocean Consultant, will be part of BirdLife Europe’s policy team and will help the policy and communication teams working on oceans issues. The work will focus on supporting amongst other things the coordination of a weeklong of events taking place in the first week of February 2020, as well as supporting BirdLife partners in engaging with BirdLife actions/campaigns.
The consultant will work closely with the Senior Marine Policy Officer and will keep her informed at all stages of the work. The consultant will not present him/herself as BirdLife in meetings unless otherwise agreed beforehand and is required to get approval before submitting documents to other NGOs/organisations.
NGO Ocean Week
- Coordinate weekly coordination meetings of the NGOs involved in the organization of Ocean Week.
- Attend other meetings regarding specific topics/organisation of Ocean Week.
- Draft material for Ocean Week (e.g. invitations)
- Work with other NGOs to organise the joint NGOs Ocean Week events (Kick off & closing events) as well as events that BirdLife is leading/supporting (e.g exhibition)
European Maritime Fisheries Policy
- Coordinate BirdLife national partners in engaging with the NGO EMFF campaign
o checking with them regularly and identifying their needs;
o produce any material that BirdLife partners might need as agreed with policy and communication teams
Implementing the Green Deal
- Coordinate factsheet and meetings on the Food to Fork strategy from an oceans perspective
- Coordinate factsheet and meetings on the Biodiversity Strategy
- Coordinate factsheet and meetings on the Climate Neutral Strategy
4 QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Have a relevant academic degree (additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of this);
- Have at least two years of work experience with EU environmental policy, preferably but not necessarily with NGOs, including analysis and formulation of policy;
- Have in-depth understanding of ocean ecosystems, seabirds, marine mammals, sea turtles, elasmobranchs, and factors and policies that influence them.
- Be capable of understanding and presenting, in written and oral form, the key scientific, economic and legal dimensions of the relevant topics;
- Have a sound grasp of the operation of EU institutions and EU environmental law;
- Have excellent communications and networking skills;
- Speak and write English fluently, with fluency in other EU languages being considered an asset;
5 BIRDLIFE OFFERS:
8400 Euro and travel budget. Coverage of other direct costs will need to have a previous agreement.
Prospective consultants invited to make an offer to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying the following:
- Number of FTE days they would be ready to provide between 23rd of December and 29th of February
- Daily rate and total proposed budget, VAT excluded
- Competence/experience of the person who would actually be providing the service; CV and cover letter in English describing how the service is going to be rendered to be attached
- Commitment to pursue the above mentioned objectives for the duration of the project
- Date when consultant would be able to start.
7 CLOSING DATE:
19 December 2019