Call for Tender - Consultant to support the coordination of the Agriculture Task Force
Wednesday, 18. November 2020 - 12:00
BirdLife International is a global Partnership of autonomous, national non-governmental conservation organisations, with a large grassroots membership, in 120 countries and territories. BirdLife works together as a Partnership to conserve wild birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, by working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources. BirdLife is the global authority on the status of bird species, has unparalleled technical expertise in bird and biodiversity assessment, and provides a global outreach through its national Partners and decentralised Secretariat.
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia (ECA) is the regional division of BirdLife International, and is one of the six BirdLife regional offices around the world. It is composed of an international team of permanent staff working on conservation, capacity building, policy, management, finance, fundraising, advocacy, science, communication, marketing and administration. BirdLife ECA supports the European and Central Asia Partnership of BirdLife International, which consists of 45 independent, grassroots Civil Society Organisations, governed by a democratic programme.
Within the agriculture working area, much of the work is carried out through the BirdLife ECA Agriculture Task Force. This group includes representatives of all or most national BirdLife ECA Partners from the EU28 countries (and some representatives of non-EU European Partners) and facilitates the exchange of information and experience, and the development and adoption of policy positions and strategies. The Task Force ensures that adopted BirdLife ECA policy positions and subsequent actions represent the views of the BirdLife ECA network and give a mandate to BirdLife ECA and Partner staff to communicate these to the EU Institutions and ensure they are included in BirdLife International global policy work. BirdLife ECA gives support and guidance to these Task Forces, and oversee their operations.
The BirdLife ECA Agriculture Task Force (ATF) which meets twice a year, although considerable work is done in between meetings, facilitated by the Extranet and email lists.
BirdLife ECA is looking for a consultant to support the coordination of the Agriculture Task Force, who will specifically work with the Partners to guide them in their work.
2 OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB
BirdLife ECA is looking for a consultant to support the coordination between the Brussels level work and national level advocacy around the EU Common Agriculture Policy (CAP). This person should notably support interested BirdLife Partners advocacy work around the CAP national level programming as Member States draw up their National Strategic Plans. He/she should also support BirdLife Europe’s Partners on other relevant agricultural policy issues, notably the implementation of the EU’s Farm to Fork strategy and relevant policy reforms stemming from this.
The consultant should be available to start in December 2020 for a period of one year, with the possibility of renewal.
• Support the BirdLife Agriculture and Bioenergy Policy Officer with advocacy work towards key national and EU governments around the CAP co-decision and especially the national level programming, through the respective BirdLife and EEB Partners, as well as advocacy work towards key Members of European Commission and, where relevant, the European Parliament;
• Prepare, organise, and follow-up together with the BirdLife ECA Secretariat two meetings of the European and Central Asia region’s Agriculture Task Force per year;
• Support the development and advocacy of BirdLife positions and briefings related to agriculture policy at EU level towards EU Institutions, in particular towards the Council of the European Union and the European Parliament;
• Produce relevant information on positions, activities, and strategies of key Member States and EU Institutions
4 QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
• Have a relevant academic degree (additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of this);
• Have relevant experience with the EU Agriculture and Biodiversity policy, and of conservation issues;
• Have in-depth understanding of the EU Common Agricultural Policy;
• Experience with national-level programming of CAP funds;
• Have a sound grasp of the operation of EU institutions;
• Be capable of understanding and presenting, in written and oral form the key findings;
• Have excellent communications skills;
• Speak and write English fluently, with fluency in other EU languages being considered an asset.
5 BIRDLIFE OFFERS
BirdLife can provide 29 000 € (excluding VAT) for the above mentioned consultancy, including money for travel expenses.
Any offers received that do not respect the upper limit will be automatically excluded from the evaluation procedure.
The price for the tender must be quoted in euro. Tenderers from countries outside the euro zone have to quote their prices in euro. The price quoted may not be revised in line with exchange rate movements. It is for the tenderer to assume the risks or the benefits deriving from any variation.
Prospective consultants are invited to submit proposals before 18th November 2020, 12:00 CET. The proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (by email only) specifying the following:
• Number of person days they would be ready to provide over 12 months
• Competence/experience of the person who would actually be providing the service;
• Daily rate and total proposed budget, VAT excluded
• Commitment to pursue the above mentioned objectives for the duration of the project and availability for a potential second year of engagement (funding dependent);
• Readiness to make 1-2 trips to Brussels for Task Force meetings.
• Date when consultant would be able to start.