Balkans Capacity Development Officer
Monday, 5. August 2019 - 23:45
Balkans Capacity Development Officer
BirdLife Partners BIOM (Croatia) and BSPB (Bulgaria) are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced individual for the position of Balkans Capacity Development Officer. The main responsibilities will be to facilitate technical cooperation between the Partners in the Balkans on the development of their membership and supporters base, to monitor the impact of grants provided to Balkans Partners from the Capacity-Development Fund and to support the affiliation process of new Partners in Albania and Bosnia to BirdLife. The Officer will be embedded in the team of either BIOM (Zagreb) or BSPB (Sofia), according to the successful candidate’s preference, and will report to the CEO of BIOM/BSPB and the Partner Development Officer of BirdLife Europe and Central Asia.
A. Work with Partners in the Balkans to strengthen their support base through membership, supporters, volunteers and individual donors:
- Conduct a mapping and SWOT-analysis of the current situation among BirdLife Partners in the Balkans.
- Facilitate group thinking among Partners in the Balkans about innovative and creative approaches through the organization of workshops, learning exchanges for staff and other learning opportunities.
- Assist in the organization of joint activities and in the development of joint communication tools by Partners for strengthening their supporter base.
- Formulate project proposals comprising such activities, for submission to donors identified by the Secretariat.
- Assist Partners in the development of proposals to the Capacity Development Fund to eliminate structural bottlenecks.
- Monitor growth in the supporter base of Partners using quantitative and qualitative indicators.
B. Monitoring the impact of CDF-Grants
- Assist Partners in collecting and analyzing data which, demonstrate the impact of grants for organizational development made through the CDF.
C. Assist with the affiliation process of new Partners in Bosnia and Albania
- Assist with preparations of assessment visits
- Support organizations in Bosnia and Albania to implement recommendations developed during assessments
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
- University degree (BSc or higher) in a relevant field, e;g. sciences, education or international development
- Over 5 years of experience in development of NGOs, including strategic planning, governance, membership development and fundraising.
- Have knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to organizational capacity development.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, ability to think pragmatically.
- Familiarity with the nature conservation sector, preferably in the Balkans.
- A good understanding of the societies of the Balkan countries.
- An ability to inspire trust by demonstrating a high level of commitment and responsibility.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills.
- A solution-oriented attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: a high level of empathy and theory of mind, a good sense of humor.
- An ability to easily develop and maintain working relations with teams in different locations.
- Keeps abreast of new development in own occupation/profession, actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally.
- A high degree of flexibility, adaptability and ability to work independently.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Command of additional languages spoken in the Balkans is an important asset.
- Willingness and ability to spend a significant amount of time (minimum. 30%) travelling throughout the Balkans and to the BirdLife Secretariat in Brussels.
Salary & benefits:
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BIOM or BSPB terms and conditions.
- Length/duration of the contract: 12 months, with possible extension
- Location: Zagreb or Sofia
- Working hours: Full time
- Date when the job expected to start: September 2019
Application deadline: 5 August 2019
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the deadline to: email@example.com the application deadline.
See the full job description
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.