Administrative Officer - Dakar, Senegal
Wednesday, 5. September 2018 - 23:45
Administrative Officer - Dakar, Senegal
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced individual for the position of Administrative Officer. The main responsibility will be to ensure effective and efficient Administrative and Human Resource Management of the Dakar office and its projects and programmes, as well provide administrative support to Partners in West Africa.
1. Administrative Support
• Provide administrative support for West Africa office personnel
• Provide personal administrative assistance to the Deputy Regional Director
• Handle logistics, procurements and Service Provider contracts and ensure smooth administrative functioning of the Dakar office
• Provide administrative support to BirdLife field staff, visitors, and members of the BirdLife African network as appropriate.
2. Human Resource & Personnel Issues
• Handle all personnel issues, i.e. recruitment, induction, staff training, medical insurance, pensions
• Maintains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records, recording new hires, transfers, terminations, changes in job classifications, merit increases; tracking annual leave, sick leave etc.
• Support in the management of employee grievances
• Prepare staff contracts and ensure they are up to date
• Ensure policies and procedures are followed as per the BirdLife staff handbook and that all employment policies follow current laws and regulations
• Ensure processing of staff salaries are done on time
3. Ensuring compliance with local labour laws and other legal issues
• Facilitate the registration of BirdLife in the country and ensure it complies with all government directives pertaining to NGOs in the country
• Handle the processing of work permits for expatriate staff
• Ensure all requisite taxes, benefits and payments are made to the relevant government departments on time
4. Event Coordination: Conferences, workshops and regional meetings
• Support the organisation at conferences, workshops and regional meetings
• Attend and minute at various meetings as required
• Co-ordinate travel arrangements and related matters for all BirdLife West Africa Secretariat personnel
• Support to other Organisations affiliated to BirdLife with co-ordination of events and workshops as may be requested from time to time
5. IT Support and Data Bases
• Co-ordinate IT support within the office Maintain and update relevant databases
Any other duties as delegated by the Line Manager.
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
• University degree in Human Resource Management, Public Relations or Business Administration
• Extensive experience in applying Administration and Human Resource Management
• Comprehensive understanding of local, state and federal employment laws in Senegal
• Good knowledge of administrative and programme management principles and practices
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team,
• Experience with managing the logistical aspects of workshops, training courses or meetings, including assistance with arranging for the travel, lodging, and registration of participants
• Excellent and effective organisational skills
• Good interpersonal , time management and problem solving skills
• Ability to form strong working relationships with people at all levels
• The ability to work to high standards within tight deadlines
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with fluency in both French and English
• Good computer literacy in all standard Microsoft Office applications
• Flexibility and ability to work independently
• Willingness to travel at short notice if and when required
Application deadline: 5 September 2018
The position will be based in Dakar, Senegal. Preference is therefore for residents of Senegal and those who have permission to work in Senegal.
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International, Africa Division terms and conditions.
• Gross monthly salary: USD 1300 - 1500
• Length/duration of this position: 2 years
• Working hours: Full time 40 hours per week
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the to: email@example.com by the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.