Partnership & Capacity Development Coordinator
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced individual for the position of Partnership & Capacity Development Coordinator (Africa).
Sunday, 10. October 2021 – 23:45
Dakar in Senegal or Nairobi in Kenya
40 hours per week
1 year, with a possibility of extension, contingent upon performance and resource availability
Gross monthly salary: EURO 3,000 – 3400
The main responsibilities will be to lead the Partnership and Capacity Development Department of the Africa region, taking into account the BirdLife Strategy, the Quality Assurance System results and differentiated roles of BirdLife Secretariat and BirdLife Partners in accordance with the BirdLife Operational Procedures. Also, to promote the engagement of Partners in implementing the BirdLife Strategy and provide support in the implementation of the Partnership Development Plan in Africa.
Partnerships and Network Development
- Provide strategic guidance in the effective implementation of the Africa Partnership Development Plan, ensuring that all capacity building resources available at regional and global levels are efficiently deployed.
- Promote the engagement of Supporting Partners in capacity building and programme implementation, ensuring that relationships with Partners are respectful and are aligned to the BirdLife procedures.
Engagement of BirdLife Africa Partners
- Support Partners to meet the BirdLife Criteria
- Provide support in building partners’ capacity, including through application of BirdLife tool and guidelines for capacity development
- Develop TOR and identify appropriate personnel to engage national conservation NGOs where BirdLife is not represented with a view to develop a long-term BirdLife presence for conservation action
- Coordinate evaluation of partners’ progress evaluation and needs according to the Quality Assurance System (QAS) and facilitate the development of strengthening plans that reflect the results of such self-assessment.
Communications and strategic alliances
- Foster effective coordination and communication in the partnership, and keep partners updated on skills, best practices and resources that they can access from BirdLife Secretariat.
- Promote the achievements and lessons learned in the BirdLife Africa Partnership.
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with NGOs, international and regional institutions relevant to the partnership and capacity development plan.
- Foster strategic partnerships with relevant state and non-state actors (government and intergovernmental organisations, national and regional institutions, development agencies, donor community and private sector) towards achievement of BirdLife’s objectives.
- Promote capacity development of target stakeholders, particularly civil society, communities, government and private sector in West Africa.
Mobilise resources for the Partnership
- Support fundraising drive for strengthening the partnership, including through cultivation and maintenance of relationships with donors and development institutions
- Lead the development and implementation of large scale projects on people, partnership and capacity development.
- For a specific suite of countries, provide focused Country Programme support to ensure that the Partners attain excellence in organisational management and conservation impact
- Coordinate with Supporting Partners in specific countries to develop and deliver country visions for BirdLife engagement
- Manage Partner Development and coordination frameworks.
Any other duties as delegated by the Regional Director, Africa
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
- Postgraduate degree in relevant field or equivalent.
- Qualification and background in natural sciences, development, sociology or relevant qualification with demonstratable experience at senior level.
- Good understanding of NGO development and Natural Resource Management in Africa
- Established track record relevant experience in organisational and capacity development. Significant hands-on training and strategic planning delivery experience. Experience in team management.
- Strong project, coordination and people management skills. Ability to organise and manage own and other people’s time/priorities.
- Work with a high level of initiative and work well under pressure.
- Ability to develop a clearly defined and focused business vision and personal vision. Skilled at both thinking with a strategic purpose as well as creating a visioning process.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals, solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise.
- Effective at building strong working relationships
- Strong internal and external communications skills.
- Impressive oral and writing skills
- Building effective donor relations, writing sound proposals
- Effective at analysing complex environments and resolving problems with practical solutions.
- Ability to motivate and guide staff particularly in non line-management relationship.
- Sound IT literacy in Word, Excel, Email, Internet and PowerPoint.
- Skills in written, spoken and comprehension for both English and French (other relevant languages an advantage)
- Frequent travel within Africa to Partners and Partnership Meetings. Likely expectation 3-6 weeks annually
Application deadline: 10 October 2021
Location:The position will be based in either of these locations: Dakar in Senegal or Nairobi in Kenya.
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International, Africa Division terms and conditions.
- Gross monthly salary: EURO 3,000 – 3400
- Length/duration of this position: 1 year, with a possibility of extension, contingent upon performance and resource availability
- Working hours: Full time 40 hours per week
- Date when the job expected to start: 1 November 2022
Application: Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the to: [email protected] by 10 October 2021
Interviews: We thank you all for your applications, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.