We are looking for a Finance Consultant to be responsible for maintaining the finances, accounting, and statutory records and procedures in order to provide solid day-to-day management and record-keeping which meet all legal requirements.
Sunday, 7 November 2021
3 days a week for 4 months (January – April 2022)
3 days per month for 8 months (May – December 2022)
BirdLife Europe and Central Asia (ECA) is a Partnership of 48 national conservation organizations and a leader in bird conservation. Our unique local to global approach enables us to deliver high impact and long term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife ECA is one of the six regional Secretariats that compose BirdLife International, the global authority on the status of bird species. Based in Brussels, it supports the European and Central Asian Partnership and is present in 47 countries including all EU Member States.
With more than 4.100 staff in Europe, 2 million members and tens of thousands of skilled volunteers, BirdLife Europe and Central Asia, together with its national Partners, owns or manages more than 6,000 nature sites totaling 320 000 hectares.
Overall purpose of Service
The Finance Consultant is responsible for maintaining the finances, accounting, and statutory records and procedures in order to provide solid day-to-day management and record-keeping which meet all legal requirements.
• To manage the Finances within the ECA Division
• To provide leadership and support in operations of the ECA division to enable it to optimise its resources and safeguard its assets.
This is a part time position, 3 days a week for 4 months (January – April 2022) and 3 days per month for 8 months (May – December 2022).
1. Management of day to day accounting
2. Provision of financial information and reports to senior managers and the Head of Operations, the ECA Committee in support of monthly monitoring of risks and decision-making
3. Preparation of Financial Reports to the Head of Operations to submit to the ECA Committee and Board of Directors of Stichting BirdLife Europe
4. Support to Head of Operations to implement BirdLife financial policies and procedures, in compliance with both Belgian and European Commission Financial requirements and BirdLife International policies
5. Support in the implementation of the new ERP system
6. Ensure monthly closing of books and the necessary reconciliations, as well as monthly reporting to the Finance and Administration Department in the Global headquarters
7. Perform administrative and contractual checks and controls, ensuring compliance with Belgian laws, including the statutes of the Association, under direction of the Head of Operations and Cambridge Operations Team
8. Maintain relations with banks and external consultants on all financial matters
9. Support the preparation of the European Commission operating grant report, including evidence gathering
10. Work closely with all levels of staff to assist their information needs, including project balances for those managing projects
1. Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
2. Qualified accountant. Belgian Institute of Accountants and Tax Consultants (IAB/IEC) would be advantageous
3. Knowledge of Belgian Accounting requirements and basic Belgian employment laws
4. Significant experience in business, financial or other relevant area
5. Good administrative and organisational skills, including prioritisation and working to deadlines
6. Good communication skills, including an aptitude for dealing diplomatically with people on all levels and of different cultures. Builds positive relationships, with strong negotiation and influencing skills
7. Creativity and initiative for finding variety of approaches to solve problems with practical solutions
8. Good computer literacy including word processing, email, databases with higher expertise in spreadsheets
9. English and French or Dutch essential. Other European languages are an advantage
Deadline for application
7th November 2021
Prospective consultants are invited to make an offer specifying the following:
- Daily rate and total proposed budget, VAT excluded
- Competence/experience of the person who would be providing the service; CV and cover letter describing how the service is going to be rendered to be attached
- Commitment to pursue the above-mentioned objectives for the duration of the project and availability for a potential extension of the engagement
- Date when consultant would be able to start
Offers must be sent in electronic form to the following email address: [email protected]
Please include in the email subject: Finance Consultant