Stop illegal bird killing
In 2015 BirdLife published the first scientific study to quantify the true extent of the killing throughout the Mediterranean region. The horrific headline of The Killing Report was that more than 25 million birds are illegally slaughtered there each year. You can read the European IKB project report here.
Explore our story map to learn more about the motivations behind illegal killings, countries where illegal killing occurs, and what we're doing to combat this threat. Or follow the link: https://birdlife.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/
- Hunting and illegal killing of birds along the Mediterranean coast of Egypt: socio-economic study (May 2016)
- Scientific paper: Preliminary assessment of the scope and scale of illegal killing and taking of birds in the Mediterranean (March 2016)
- Download our layman report ''The Killing'' (August 2015)
- Download the report in French: "Les Messagers" and "Le Massacre".
- Protecting migratory birds: all projects in Europe and Central Asia
- Migratory birds and flyways
- Best practice guide for monitoring illegal killing and taking of birds
- Project report: Assessing the scope and scale of illegal killing and taking of birds in the Mediterranean, and establishing a basis for systematic monitoring