BirdLife: The Magazine
A note from the editor - download your free issue of BirdLife: the Magazine now!
At the time of writing, around half of humanity finds itself under some form of restriction on their movement, and we are all experiencing disruption to our daily lives. In the spirit of providing our loyal supporters with a welcome distraction from the news cycle, we are making the April-June 2020 issue free for all to download, read, enjoy and share digitally via our website.
Inside this issue, you’ll read uplifting stories from all around the world that show the power of conservation in action. In Papua New Guinea, for example, our local project partner’s quest to save a rare species of tree kangaroo (you’ll have to see it to believe it) ended up transforming the lives of an entire community. Meanwhile, on the African islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, we are making great strides in protecting some the country's forest giants… only not the giants you’d expect.
Of course, everything in the next year or so will be viewed through the lens of coronavirus, and conservation is no different. In our lead feature, our CEO, Patricia Zurita, explains what the pandemic means for our ongoing efforts to heal nature, and the need for transformative change once we come out of the other side.
Enjoy the issue and stay safe,
Head of Communications, BirdLife International
The latest conservation news and breakthroughs, delivered to your door
Inside each issue of our quarterly magazine, we shine a light on the amazing, and sometimes dangerous, fieldwork our Partners are undertaking across the globe - from preventing albatrosses getting caught up and killed by fishing hooks in the middle of the ocean, to preserving natural areas of the Middle East ravaged by civil war.
With 115 national Partners around the world, BirdLife - The Magazine offers a truly global perspective on modern conservation issues, as well as some incredible real-life stories.
Exclusive articles and stunning photography
We have refreshed our magazine to make it bigger, brighter and better. Inside each issue you'll find:
- Inspiring articles written by leading experts in birds and biodiversity
- The latest breakthroughs and discoveries from our network of researchers
- Stunning images from celebrated wildlife photographers
- Insights into conservation projects straight from the field
- Challenging debates on nature and conservation’s hottest topics
- Spotlights on the threatened birds and habitats we simply can’t afford to lose
- Interviews with both famous and unsung conservation and birding heroes
Become a member of the World Bird Club and receive four magazines a year
World Bird Club members are so important to BirdLife. Their regular donations ensure that we can continue to provide essential conservation work all over the globe. By becoming a World Bird Club member, not only will you be making a difference to birds and people, but you will be kept up to date with exclusive printed (or digital) issues of BirdLife – The Magazine.
By signing up as a World Bird Club member, you’ll receive a welcome pack, which includes both the latest edition of BirdLife – the Magazine, as well as the previous issue, meaning you’ll receive five editions of this fantastic magazine in your first year.
In this issue:
- Five vital projects that will continue in 2020, even if it's from our living rooms...
- Fantastic news for shorebirds: one of Asia's most important wetland reserves quadruples in size thaks to the advocacy of our Myanmar Parnter
- Feast your eyes on the stunning art of the Audubon Mural Project, an inner-city initaitve raising awareness of birds threatened by climate change
- From the ashes: five bird species affected by Australia's bushfires, and what we're doing to thelp them