Palestinian Authority Territories
Palestine Wildlife Society (PWLS)
Palestine Wildlife Society (PWLS) is the BirdLife PartnerFounded in: 1998
Address: Biet Sahour, PO Box 89, Palestine
Mission of the organisation
"Conservation and enhancement of Palestine Biodiversity & Wildlife."
In order to achieve its goals, the following objectives are being established:
- Conservation and management of species and habitats
- Education and promotion of wildlife and nature
- Active participation and involvement of local communities in conservationand sustainable development of resources
Important Programmes of PWLS
Nature Conservation Program
Research & monitoring of birds in Palestine, with an emphasis on:
- Endangered, Endemic & Migratory Birds
- Seabird and Wetlands Research Conservation Program
Establishment of Wildlife Monitoring & Ringing (Banding) Stations in three main locations - Beit Jala, Jericho & Gaza
Capacity building: Training of local & regional ecologists in nature conversation & management
Education and Promotion Program:
- Education and promotion of wildlife and habitats through activities with school trips to nature reserves and similar activities
- Production of printing materials including posters, magazines and videos etc.
- Inclusion of Wildlife Conservation in National Curriculum for Schools
Introducing the concept of Eco-tourism to Palestinian society.
Desertification: controlling and decreasing the phenomenon that causes desertification through controlling overgrazing and forestation of the different areas with the native plants.
Communication: This department plays a major role in achieving the PWLS objectives.
Marketing Division: This division specialises in covering the process of finding funding agencies that help in covering the proposals that PWLS produce.
Nature Multimedia Division: This division specialises in preparing and producing environmental- and awareness-raising materials such as video films, informational CDs, TV documentaries, graphic design etc.
Education: This department aims to enhance and spread environmental education and awareness among local communities all over the Palestinian Territories. It uses different methods, and applies different programs to achieve this, such as eco-schools, student environmental mail and other environmental publications.
Research: This department conducts monitoring and wildlife surveys including bird ringing and mapping (GIS), giving a complete insight into endangered species and their migration routes and behaviour etc.
- Implementing the IBA project “Important Bird Areas in Palestine”
- Been a part of the New Curricula committee for the Ministry of Education that deals with conservation education for 7th to 10th grades
- Been part of the Biodiversity Strategy Action Plan with the Environmental Quality Authority during 1997-1999
- Have trained hundreds of students, teachers, farmers, households, women, and other target groups in environmental issues
- Environmental Education Activities covering different schools (public, private and ANRWA) in the West Bank and Gaza through our leaders or other NGOs or GOs in those areas
- BirdLife International: An Affiliate in 1999; Partner Designate in 2001 and Full Partner in 2004
- Euronatur- Germany: Became a partner in 1999
- OISCA - Japan International: Palestine Chapter in the year of 2001
- Friends of Earth - Middle East: 2001
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification - UNCCD: PWLS gained Accreditation status with UNCCD in 2001
- Global Environmental Facility - GEF: Gained Accreditation status in 2002
- Ornithological Society of the Middle East - OSME: Country Contact (2002)