Gibraltar (to UK)
Gibraltar Ornithological and Natural History Society (GONHS)
Gibraltar Ornithological and Natural History Society (GONHS) is the BirdLife PartnerFounded in: 1976
Address: The Gibraltar Natural History Field Centre, Jews' Gate, Upper Rock Nature Reserve, P.O. Box 843, Gibraltar
Mission of the organisation
Fostering the study, conservation and dissemination of information on nature in Gibraltar and its hinterland.
- Advocacy and Lobbying;
- Environmental Watchdog role;
- Practical conservation: habitat restoration, re-introductions;
- Promoting public awareness;
- Wildlife management.
- Led a campaign to enforce laws banning net fishing which is detrimental to fish stocks and to the desmarestii race of Shag;
- Monitored daily numbers of passing birds of prey and contributed results to SEO/BirdLife's MIGRES programme;
- Contributed observations on seabirds to the LIFE Balearic Shearwater project;
- Successfully bred Lesser Kestrels in captivity for the first time. This programme will form the basis for boosting numbers of this species in Gibraltar;
- Achieved a long-standing aim of achieving full voting rights on the Territory's Development and Planning Commission.