BirdLife Americas Work
Conservation action in the Americas
The following highlight some of the major activities BirdLife Americas Program is currently advancing – specific local and national projects of each partner are identified on their respective web pages.
- Waterbird Conservation for the Americas
- The World Bird Database (WBDB)
- The BirdLife Preventing Extinctions Programme
- Important Bird Areas in the Americas
- Conservation of key sites for Globally Threatened Birds in the Atlantic Forest of Brazil
- Conserving the Eastern Forests of Cuba
- Grassland conservation in the Southern Cone of South America (Spanish PDF, 787 KB)
- An Initiative for the Conservation of the Grasslands of the Southern Cone of South America (English .doc, 44 KB)
- Developing Capacity in the Caribbean for Conserving Biodiversity
- The World Bird Festival in the Americas
- A Clearing House Mechanism for disseminating biodiversity information to key decision makers in the Tumbesian Region (PDF, 106 KB)
- La Ceiba-Pilares Project: Local decisions, people’s rights and management sustainable of the natural resources in Dry Forest (PDF, 551 KB)
- Policy and advocacy for biodiversity conservation in the Americas
- The Caribbean Program was created in 2000 to continue developing and implementing a coherent, integrated Caribbean bird conservation program based on the Important Bird Area initiative.
The Brazil Program was created in March 2000, after initial studies revealed the need for urgent actions at some of the most important sites for birds in Brazil, Murici and Serra das Lontras. A total of 161 IBAs have been identified along 15 coastal states (from Piauí to Rio Grande do Sul, including Minas Gerais), of which 16 IBAs are considered of highest priority for conservation activities.
Selected Country Projects
The BirdLife Partnership in the Americas is undertaking a series of projects related to the conservation of birds and biodiversity. Many of these projects are centered around working with people towards the conservation of IBAs. The following are examples of some of these projects.
Next Page » BirdLife Americas Partnership