Fiji - NatureFiji-MareqetiViti
Mission of the organisation
NatureFiji-MareqetiViti’s mission is to enhance biodiversity and habitat conservation, endangered species protection and sustainable use of natural resources of the Fiji Islands through the promotion of collaborative conservation action, awareness raising, education, research and biodiversity information exchange.
1. Threatened species research, monitoring and conservation action on the ground with local communities and the government
2. Public awareness on Fiji's unique wildlife and ecosystems
3. Active advocacy and participation in the effective application of the Environment Management Act, Fiji Forest Policy and Fiji Forest Harvesting Code of Practice
4. Active membership participation in saving threatened species
5. Technical advisor to government and stakeholders on Protected Areas, Threatened species and Invasive species.
NFMV is Fiji's first local membership based organisation - only five years since our establishment, we have:
1. Produced Fiji's first endangered species compendium that targets school children and their teachers - information that was not previously readily available to this target audience,
2. Written and implementing species recovery plans for five critically endangered species: two birds, two bats, one palm.
3. Through proven technical expertise, we now sit on four advisory committees to the government led National Environment Council.
4. Took the first ever pictures of the Critically Endangered Fiji Petrel in flight out at sea (in collaboration with BirdLife International, the National Trust of Fiji and the Tubenoses Project and Extreme Gadfly Petrel Expeditions)
5. Rediscovered Fiji's only endemic mammal (the Fiji Flying Fox - Mirimiri acrodonta) after 20 years of not being sighted (in collaboration with Annette Scanlon, University of South Australia, University of the South Pacfic and the National Trust of Fiji)
6. Attained Affiliate Status with the BirdLife International Global Partnership in our sixth year.