Qatar - Friends of the Environment Centre
Founded in: 1922
Address: Villa No 92 , zone 52 , Mekka St., Doha, QA
Tel/Fax: Tel: +09 744 874731; Tel: +974 44874725; Fax: +09 744 877301
Mission of the organisation
FEC is striving in collaboration with the Government, NGOs and the Private Sector to achieve better bird conservation goals through field surveys, and offering effective environmental educational and awareness programmes focusing on students, families and local communities .
- Flower each spring program.
- My country's bird program.
- Hima bird conservation projects.
- Insect survey program
- Bird identification, monitoring and education program.
- Environmental health project.
- Green tent environmental and social awareness program .
- Annual school- oriented competitions on environmental aspects.
- The establishment and implementation of a Regional Hima Fund (HF) designed to sponsor the protection of endangered bird species within IBAs in 12 Birdlife Partners countries in the Middle East . Already 4 projects in 4 countries (Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon and Oman) have been sponsored and 3 species have successfully been conserved.
- HF has sponsored an ongoing regional project for updating the 400 IBAs existing in the Middle East
- HF has already donated more than US$ 78,000 for supporting the last Birdife International World Congress, held in Canada during June 2013. This donation included enabling about 10 participants from the Middle East to attend the Congress. As a result FEC was awarded a Platinum status.
- The first comprehensive and scientific Field Guide of the birds of Qatar has been completed, and is in the pipe line for publication in English & Arabic.
- Results of long term field surveys regarding the identification of Insects of Qatar have been published and some are due for publication soonest.
- An agreement has been signed with Sasol Co. of South Africa for designing a smart iphone/ipad application technique called (Qatar e-Nature) including all technical information pertaining to Qatar birds, insects & flora. The aim is to assist in environmental educational programs.
- A BirdLife/GCC countries office in collaboration with HF, will be established soonest within FEC to assist in fundraising and promoting the implementation of BL/ME Programs and strategy.