Eastern Afromontane RIT Project Officer, Nairobi (Kenya)
BirdLife is looking for a new Project Officer to implement the Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF)’s 5-year investment in the Eastern Afromontane Hotspot (EAM).
The EAM Regional Implementation Team (RIT) will be responsible for establishing and administering small and large grants programs to support promising conservation initiatives in hotspot countries.
They will oversee a cohesive portfolio of grants, in line with CEPF’s strategic investment directions for the hotspot, which exceed in impact the sum of their parts. An overarching aim of the investment is to build a broad constituency of civil society groups, working across institutional and political boundaries, toward achieving the shared conservation goals identified by CEPF.
The Project Officer (PO)’s role will include:
- Managing calls for proposals
- Reviewing and processing small and large grants
- Organising key project events: launches, meetings, workshops, training etc.
- Reviewing grantees’ technical and financial reports
- Ensuring the application of CEPF’s social and environmental safeguards by grantees
- Contributing to detailed annual project work plans and reports
The role will be based at the BirdLife International Africa Partnership Secretariat in Nairobi. The PO will work closely with EWNHS (BirdLife Partner in Ethiopia) and IUCN’s Nairobi and Maputo offices.
Suitable candidates will have:
- A university degree in a relevant discipline – MSc an advantage
- An active interest in, and sound understanding of, conservation and development
- A good knowledge of, and experience working in, the Eastern Afromontane Hotspot region
- A proven track record of work experience in project management /support, including administration; reporting and communication
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, attention to detail and organisational skills
- The ability to analyse complex problems, and generate creative and pragmatic solutions
- Written and spoken fluency in English and French
The detailed job description is available here. The salary will be in the range of $25,000-$28,000, inclusive of benefits.
Please send a cover letter (no longer than 2 pages) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with CEPF RIT Project Officer as the subject.
Applications must be received by 01 October 2012. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held during the week of 8 October 2012.
Please note that the successful candidate must be available to attend training during the week of 22 October 2012, although the start date will be negotiable.