- Africa (188)
- Americas (341)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (300)
- Australia (40)
- Europe & Central Asia (86)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (56)
- Pacific (134)
- Species Group (212)
- Taxonomy (160)
Five most recent topics
- Yellow-breasted Bunting (Emberiza aureola): urgent request for information.
- Re-assessment of Species against Criterion B1: Red List Implications of the use of Minimum Convex Polygons
- Species to be potentially uplisted after a reassessment of species against criterion B2, following Tracewski et al. (2016)
- Proposed Status Changes of Forest-dependent Species
- Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus): uplist from Least Concern to Vulnerable?
- Big Brother is BIRD-Watching YOU! June 24, 2017Nature is but a click away with these amazing live bird cams run by BirdLife’s partners across Europe & Central Asia. Storks, eagles, kestrels - you name it! Our Head of Conservation, Iván Ramírez tells us more… Young birders in the making
- Nature Kenya’s Serah Munguti recognised for Tusk Conservation Award June 23, 2017After several years on the frontline working with communities and campaigning for the conservation of Kenya’s biodiverse Tana River Delta, Serah Munguti, Advocacy Manager of BirdLife International’s Partner in Kenya was shortlisted as finalist for the fifth annual Tusk Award. Serah who works for Nature Kenya has reached out to local communities and engaged with […]
- The Bird Bulletin - Vol. 12 June 23, 2017Welcome to the latest edition of ‘The Bird Bulletin’ – our weekly news brief. Every Friday morning, we bring you bite-sized updates from across Europe & Central Asia – kick start your weekend with “what a little bird told me!” ALIEN COVENANT – On Monday, EU Member States approved the inclusion of 12 new […]
- Big Brother is BIRD-Watching YOU! June 24, 2017
Tag Archives: Yelkouan Shearwater
Archived 2015 topics: Yelkouan Shearwater (Puffinus yelkouan) – downlist from Vulnerable to Least Concern?
Yelkouan Shearwater Puffinus yelkouan is endemic to the Mediterranean and Black Seas, breeding from S France and E Algeria east to Greece and Bulgaria; breeding is also suspected in Turkey, but still not proven (Carboneras et al. 2014). It is … Continue reading
To explore the impact of uncertainty on the overall trend and category, a number of alternative scenarios were also explored (see attached spreadsheet). When the trend assessments were re-run, only the most optimistic scenarios altered the potential Red List category (from Endangered to Vulnerable or Near Threatened), i.e. assuming Italy is experiencing the minimum decline rate and countries with unknown trends are stable.
This suggests that the species’s global status ought to be revised to Vulnerable under criterion A4b,c,d,e, as it is projected to suffer a rapid population reduction (30-49% decline over three generations). Comments on this proposal and any relevant information (particularly including trend information for additional countries) are invited. Continue reading