- Africa (145)
- Americas (265)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (221)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (67)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (77)
- Species Group (182)
- Taxonomy (21)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Silver-eared Mesia Leiothrix argentauris is being split: list Sumatran Mesia L. laurinae as Critically Endangered, and L. argentauris as Least Concern?
- Timneh Parrot (Psittacus timneh): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Gentoo Penguin (Pygoscelis papua): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Adélie Penguin (Pygoscelis adeliae): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016It is one of the last strongholds of the Guinean Forest, a moist forest eco-region that once covered West Africa like a blanket from Guinea to Togo, but has shrunk by 70% over the last several centuries due to human activities in the region. It offers vital resources to the communities who live on the […]
- Fancy a mate? Only if shade grown September 23, 2016Organic yerba mate receives a healthy infusion from Darwin Initiative grants scheme. Guyra Paraguay (BirdLife in Paraguay) and its local partners awarded more than £300,000 to protect Paraguay’s Atlantic Forest through their shade grown yerba mate project. When you think about plantations, several images may spring to mind. Rows of uniform trees stretching as […]
- The best of both worlds: a joint statement from HeidelbergCement & BirdLife September 22, 2016If politics is, as they say, ‘the art of the possible’, then the HeidelbergCement-BirdLife partnership has very good news for the European Commission. All too often, environmental concerns are unwisely dismissed as secondary to – or, in some cases, incompatible with – economic activity. Yet, Eurobarometer polls show that European citizens expect progress in both […]
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016
Tag Archives: Viridian Dacnis
Viridian Dacnis Dacnis viguieri is listed as Near Threatened, however this species has been mapped by Natureserve/BirdLife International as having an estimated Extent of Occurrence (EOO) of 56,500 km2, hence it does not appear to approach the IUCN thresholds and appears to warrant downlisting to Least Concern. Continue reading