- Africa (145)
- Americas (265)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (221)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (67)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (77)
- Species Group (182)
- Taxonomy (21)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Silver-eared Mesia Leiothrix argentauris is being split: list Sumatran Mesia L. laurinae as Critically Endangered, and L. argentauris as Least Concern?
- Timneh Parrot (Psittacus timneh): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Grey Parrot (Psittacus erithacus): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Gentoo Penguin (Pygoscelis papua): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Adélie Penguin (Pygoscelis adeliae): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016It is one of the last strongholds of the Guinean Forest, a moist forest eco-region that once covered West Africa like a blanket from Guinea to Togo, but has shrunk by 70% over the last several centuries due to human activities in the region. It offers vital resources to the communities who live on the […]
- Fancy a mate? Only if shade grown September 23, 2016Organic yerba mate receives a healthy infusion from Darwin Initiative grants scheme. Guyra Paraguay (BirdLife in Paraguay) and its local partners awarded more than £300,000 to protect Paraguay’s Atlantic Forest through their shade grown yerba mate project. When you think about plantations, several images may spring to mind. Rows of uniform trees stretching as […]
- The best of both worlds: a joint statement from HeidelbergCement & BirdLife September 22, 2016If politics is, as they say, ‘the art of the possible’, then the HeidelbergCement-BirdLife partnership has very good news for the European Commission. All too often, environmental concerns are unwisely dismissed as secondary to – or, in some cases, incompatible with – economic activity. Yet, Eurobarometer polls show that European citizens expect progress in both […]
- Threatened African rainforest teeming with unique life declared a National Park September 23, 2016
Tag Archives: Tooth-billed Pigeon
Archived 2014 discussion: Tooth-billed Pigeon (Didunculus strigirostris): is this species Critically Endangered?
It is unclear whether, since 2006, the species has declined further and new information is urgently required to clarify recent records of Tooth-billed Pigeon. At the same time, if the apparent paucity of recent records reflects a further population decline in recent years, a conservative outlook suggests its global population may have been reduced to fewer than 250 mature individuals, qualifying the species as Critically Endangered under criterion C2a with an on-going decline in progress. Continue reading