- Africa (89)
- Americas (210)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (66)
- Species Group (136)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Black Parrot (Coracopsis nigra) is being split: request for information on C. sibilans, and list C. barklyi as Vulnerable?
- Additional changes to species listed as Extinct: six [edited from five] Extinct species are being re-categorised as Not Recognised and 12 taxa [edited from 11] are being newly recognised as Extinct species
- Tahiti Kingfisher (Todiramphus veneratus) is being split: list T. youngi as Near Threatened and T. veneratus as Least Concern?
- Crescent-chested Puffbird (Malacoptila striata) is being split: list M. minor as Critically Endangered and M. striata as Near Threatened?
Tag Archives: Thick-billed Parrot
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Thick-billed Parrot (Rhynchopsitta pachyrhyncha): request for information
Thick-billed Parrot R. pachyrhyncha is listed as Endangered under criterion C2a(ii) on the basis that its population numbers fewer than 2,500 mature individuals and is suspected to be declining due to the clearance and degradation of its habitat. Recently, concerns have been expressed to us that this population estimate may be incorrect by an order of magnitude, as there are apparently fewer than 100 active nests each year (J. Gilardi in litt. 2010). Continue reading