- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- Birds of a Feather: Our partners’ highlights from 2016 January 16, 2017From the wild North Atlantic to the Caspian Sea; from the fjords of Breiðafjörður to the Iron Gates on the Danube, from the high Pyrenees to the Kazakh Steppe – how better to bask in the spectacular natural beauty of Europe & Central Asia than with a bird’s eye view? Here are just some of […]
- Climate Packages – just pretty wrapping? January 16, 2017True to the spirit of New Year, Sini Eräjää – Bioenergy Policy Officer at BirdLife Europe & Central Asia – looks back upon some of the climate and energy disappointments of 2016 and makes her wish for a Happy New (& Sustainable) Year for Nature in 2017.
- A new hope for the Blue-throated Macaw January 13, 2017The discovery of a new roosting site for Blue-throated Macaw Ara glaucogularis coupled with an innovative and successful programme geared towards promoting the use of artificial feathers in ceremonial headdresses, gives renewed hope for the survival of this charismatic parrot. The Blue-throated Macaw is one of South America’s rarest parrots, with a population estimated at […]
- Birds of a Feather: Our partners’ highlights from 2016 January 16, 2017
Tag Archives: Tapajós Hermit
BirdLife species factsheet for Tapajos Hermit Tapajos Hermit is endemic to Brazil. It is known only from the vicinity of the Teles Pires, Tapajós and Xingu rivers, south of the Amazon (Piacentini et al. 2009). The species is listed as Near … Continue reading
Archived 2010-2011 topics: Tapajós Hermit (Phaethornis aethopyga): a valid species, so list as Near Threatened?
Tapajós Hermit Phaethornis aethopyga is treated by BirdLife as a valid species. In the region of Brazil in which this species is found, habitat destruction and fragmentation as a result of conversion to pasture, road construction and subsequent development and settlement, accompanied by illegal logging, are significant threats to any forest-dependent species, with the Novo Progresso area currently experiencing one of the highest rates of deforestation in the Amazon (F. Olmos in litt. 2007). Continue reading