- Africa (87)
- Americas (208)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (64)
- Species Group (134)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Xantus’s Murrelet (Synthliboramphus hypoleucus) is being split: list S. hypoleucus as Endangered and S. scrippsi as Vulnerable?
- The recently described taxon Capito fitzpatricki is being recognised as a species by BirdLife: list the species as Near Threatened?
- Ringed Woodpecker (Celeus torquatus) is being split: request for information on C. tinnunculus, and list C. torquatus as Near Threatened and C. occidentalis as Least Concern?
- Golden-bellied Starfrontlet (Coeligena bonapartei) is being split: request for information on C. consita
Tag Archives: Sulawesi Hornbill
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Knobbed Hornbill (Aceros cassidix) and Sulawesi Hornbill (Penelopides exarhatus): uplist to Near Threatened?
Knobbed Hornbill Aceros cassidix and Sulawesi Hornbill Penelopides exarhatus are both currently listed as Least Concern. However, a recent reanalysis by Kinnaird and O’Brien (2007) has suggested that both species are declining at rates approaching 30% over ten years/ three generations based on recent and ongoing rates of habitat loss on Sulawesi. Comment and information relevant to the proposal to uplist these species would be welcome. Continue reading