- Africa (114)
- Americas (218)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (200)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (67)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (42)
- Pacific (70)
- Species Group (164)
- Taxonomy (2)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Global IUCN Red List for birds – 2015 changes
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- Black-bellied Sandgrouse (Pterocles orientalis) – request for information from Central Asia
- Tessmann’s Flycatcher (Muscicapa tessmanni): List as Least Concern?
- Eared Quetzal (Euptilotis neoxenus): Downlist to Least Concern?
Tag Archives: Sula Megapode
Archived 2010-2011 topics: Sula Megapode (Megapodius bernsteinii): uplist to Vulnerable or Endangered?
Sula Megapode Megapodius bernsteinii is listed as Near Threatened on the basis that the population was suspected to be declining at a rate approaching 30% over 12 years (three generations), however a high degree of hunting pressure and the observation that most of the lowland forest on Taliabu has been cleared for logging, along with observations that the species has suffered drastic declines on other range islands, suggests that the population is declining at a rate equivalent to more than 30% over 12 years, and perhaps more than 50% over 12 years, making it eligible for at least Vulnerable status under the A criteria. Continue reading