- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- The silencing of the songbirds December 8, 2016The 2016 Red List reveals that Indonesia’s love of songbirds is a tainted love; unsustainable trapping is driving many endemic species towards extinction. Pramuka market assaults the senses. Crushed into the Indonesian capital of Jakarta, it is dimly lit, sweltering and oppressively claustrophobic. The stifling air resounds with chaotic song and the acrid stench of […]
- Grey Parrot fading from Africa's rainforests December 8, 2016When a team of researchers travelled around Ghana to conduct a Grey Parrot Psittacus erithacus census, they encountered a very pronounced generation gap. “The older people we surveyed remember the Grey Parrot well”, says Stuart Marsden, Professor of Conservation Ecology at Manchester Metropolitan University, and one of the leaders of the study. “The species used […]
- 2016 Red List: great news for island endemics, disaster for cagebirds December 8, 2016This year’s IUCN Red List update delivers a chilling warning about the plight faced by some of the world’s most popular cagebirds, with many much-loved species now being trapped and traded into near-extinction in the wild. The most iconic species to be uplisted to a higher threat category is the Grey Parrot Psittacus erithacus, which […]
- The silencing of the songbirds December 8, 2016
Tag Archives: Star Finch
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Proposed revisions to Australian endemics based on reassessments in The Action Plan for Australian Birds 2010
The following Australian endemic species have been proposed for global reassessment following publication of a comprehensive reassessment of the status of Australian birds (Garnett, S.T., Szabo, J. 2011 and Dutson, G. Action Plan for Australian Birds 2010. CSIRO, Melbourne) Reassessment … Continue reading →