- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017Welcome to the latest edition of ‘The Bird Bulletin’ – our weekly news brief. Every Friday morning, we bring you bite-sized updates from across Europe & Central Asia – kick start your weekend with “what a little bird told me!” OUT FOR THE COUNT – Volunteers from our partners ACBK (Kazakhstan) and RSPB (UK) […]
- Le vautour fauve M13 fait le buzz au Maroc: Etes-vous superstitieux? May 24, 2017Tout a commencé en début d’année 2017 lorsque les agents du Haut-Commissariat aux Eaux et Forêts et la lutte contre la Désertification découvrent cinq vautours fauves épuisés (2 adultes, 1 sub-adulte et 2 immatures) dans la Région de Jbel Moussa. Cette zone, au sud du détroit de Gibraltar est située sur le trajet des oiseaux […]
- Flying Start – new hope for the Turtle-dove May 24, 2017Joscelyne Ashpole from RSPB (BirdLife UK) explains why there is new hope for the Turtle-dove across its migratory flyways. In ancient Greek mythology, the European Turtle-dove Streptopelia turtur was purported to be sacred to Demeter, goddess of the harvest and agriculture. As a species of cultivated areas and woodland, the Turtle-dove would have been a […]
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017
Tag Archives: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler
Archived 2016 topics: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler (Jabouilleia danjoui) is being moved to genus Rimator and split: list Rimator danjoui as Near Threatened and R. naungmungensis as Vulnerable or Endangered?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler (Jabouilleia danjoui): downlist to Least Concern?
Following the description of a taxon from northern Myanmar (Rappole et al. 2005) that BirdLife recognises as a subspecies (naungmungensis) of J. danjoui, the species is now considered to have larger range than previously thought and shows some tolerance of habitat modification as it is able to survive in secondary forest. It is suggested that this species be downlisted to Least Concern as it is unlikely to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Further information on this species is requested, especially on the likely population size and rate of decline over a period of 17 years. Continue reading