- Africa (87)
- Americas (208)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (64)
- Species Group (134)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Xantus’s Murrelet (Synthliboramphus hypoleucus) is being split: list S. hypoleucus as Endangered and S. scrippsi as Vulnerable?
- The recently described taxon Capito fitzpatricki is being recognised as a species by BirdLife: list the species as Near Threatened?
- Ringed Woodpecker (Celeus torquatus) is being split: request for information on C. tinnunculus, and list C. torquatus as Near Threatened and C. occidentalis as Least Concern?
- Golden-bellied Starfrontlet (Coeligena bonapartei) is being split: request for information on C. consita
Tag Archives: Rufous-vented Prinia
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Rufous-vented Prinia (Prinia burnesii) and Swamp Prinia (P. cinerascens): request for information
Rufous-vented Prinia Prinia burnesii has been split into P. burnesii and P. cinerascens. Prior to this taxonomic change, the lumped taxa were listed as Near Threatened on the basis that the population was suspected to be undergoing a continued decline of 1-19% over 10 years owing to habitat loss and degradation. This taxonomic change has prompted a review of these species’ threat status, and there is speculation that P. cinarescens could qualify as threatened. Information is requested on the population sizes and estimated rates of decline in both species in order to help in the assessment of their Red List status. Continue reading