- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- The Montserrat Oriole is no longer Critically Endangered January 20, 2017This article was first published in the December issue of BirdLife The Magazine. Subscribe via iTunes/Android to easily support our conservation work. With two thirds of its suitable forest habitat completely destroyed, the population of Montserrat Oriole Icterus oberi dramatically declined after a series of volcanic eruptions during the late 1990s, and suffered from the impact of invasive […]
- Berlin - Painting the town green! January 20, 2017On the eve of the annual ‘Wir habe es satt!!’ (‘We are fed up!’) march during Berlin’s International Green Week – when tens of thousands march for a new approach to farming – our Agriculture Policy Officer Thomas Quinn explains why, this year, it is more important than ever to tell the European Commission that […]
- Major oil spill in Turkey; emergency teams deployed [PHOTOS] January 19, 2017A major oil spill is affecting coastal areas in western Turkey. Doğa Derneği (Birdlife Turkey) has deployed an emergency team of volunteers to help oiled wildlife. In the clear waters of Izmit Bay in western Turkey, a major oil spill is putting human health and marine biodiversity at risk. The spill occurred last Friday near […]
- The Montserrat Oriole is no longer Critically Endangered January 20, 2017
Tag Archives: Little Bustard
Little Bustard Tetrax tetrax breeds from Morocco and Iberia to France and Italy, and from Ukraine and SW Russia through Kazakhstan to NW China and N Iran, and winters from the Mediterranean zone through Turkey and Transcaucasia to Iran, and … Continue reading
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Little Bustard (Tetrax tetrax): what are the trends in Russia and Central Asia?
The Little Bustard Tetrax tetrax has a Palaearctic distribution and two geographically separated breeding populations: the western (found in the EU); and eastern (breeding in western and central Asia). It is currently classified as Near Threatened under criterion A on the IUCN Red List, because it is suspected to have undergone a moderately rapid global population decline approaching 30% over three generations. If the global population is suspected to be undergoing an overall decline at a rate of 30-49% in 30 years, the global status of Little Bustard would need to be revised to Vulnerable. To re-evaluate its status, more data are needed about the size and trends of populations in the east, particularly from Russia and Central Asia. Continue reading