- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- The Way Forward March 22, 2017This week, as we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome – the founding moment of the European Union – the director of LIPU (BirdLife Italy), Danilo Selvaggi, contemplates what the European project means for nature, birds and people. “The way foward is not easy or safe, but must travelled and will […]
- Discovery! New plant species in Romania March 22, 2017Introducing Ferula mikraskythiana (Apiaceae), a whole new species of flowering plant recently discovered in Romania. Ladies and gentlemen! SOR/BirdLife Romania is proud to present the latest cellular sensation to hit the botanical world – Ferula mikraskythiana! That’s right, scientists have now confirmed that a brand new species of flowering plant has been discovered in Romania.
- From Rutland to the world March 21, 2017Some places are so rich in natural wonders, so extraordinary, so important for people, and yet so threatened, that we must pull out all the stops to save them. Madagascar, the “island continent”, with its flora and fauna so unlike any other, is one such place. Tsitongambarika, then, is even more special: forest unique even […]
- The Way Forward March 22, 2017
Tag Archives: Little Bustard
Little Bustard Tetrax tetrax breeds from Morocco and Iberia to France and Italy, and from Ukraine and SW Russia through Kazakhstan to NW China and N Iran, and winters from the Mediterranean zone through Turkey and Transcaucasia to Iran, and … Continue reading
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Little Bustard (Tetrax tetrax): what are the trends in Russia and Central Asia?
The Little Bustard Tetrax tetrax has a Palaearctic distribution and two geographically separated breeding populations: the western (found in the EU); and eastern (breeding in western and central Asia). It is currently classified as Near Threatened under criterion A on the IUCN Red List, because it is suspected to have undergone a moderately rapid global population decline approaching 30% over three generations. If the global population is suspected to be undergoing an overall decline at a rate of 30-49% in 30 years, the global status of Little Bustard would need to be revised to Vulnerable. To re-evaluate its status, more data are needed about the size and trends of populations in the east, particularly from Russia and Central Asia. Continue reading