- Africa (87)
- Americas (186)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (169)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (61)
- Species Group (123)
- Taxonomy (1)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- Cory’s Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea) is being split: request for information on C. diomedea and C. borealis
- King Rail (Rallus elegans) is being split: request for information on R. elegans and R. tenuirostris.
- Sulawesi Scops-owl (Otus manadensis) is being split: list O. mendeni and O. sulaensis as Vulnerable?
Tag Archives: Lesser Masked-owl
Australian Masked-owl (Tyto novaehollandiae), Lesser Masked-owl (T. sororcula) and Manus Masked-owl (T. manusi) are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae: list the newly defined species as Least Concern?
Australian Masked-owl Tyto novaehollandiae, Lesser Masked-owl T. sororcula and Manus Masked-owl T. manusi are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae, following the application of criteria set out by Tobias et al. (2010). Continue reading
Lesser Masked-owl Tyto sororcula is currently treated as Data Deficient because most records are from the 19th or early 20th century. given the rate of habitat loss within its range it seems prudent to reclassify the species as Vulnerable under criterion A2 owing to suspected rapid population declines in excess of 30% over the past three generations. Comments on the species’s current status are welcomed. Continue reading