- Africa (169)
- Americas (321)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (266)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Shy Albatross (Thalassarche cauta): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
- Amsterdam Albatross (Diomedea amsterdamensis): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- Northern Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli): downlist to Vulnerable?
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017Welcome to the latest edition of ‘The Bird Bulletin’ – our weekly news brief. Every Friday morning, we bring you bite-sized updates from across Europe & Central Asia – kick start your weekend with “what a little bird told me!” OUT FOR THE COUNT – Volunteers from our partners ACBK (Kazakhstan) and RSPB (UK) […]
- Le vautour fauve M13 fait le buzz au Maroc: Etes-vous superstitieux? May 24, 2017Tout a commencé en début d’année 2017 lorsque les agents du Haut-Commissariat aux Eaux et Forêts et la lutte contre la Désertification découvrent cinq vautours fauves épuisés (2 adultes, 1 sub-adulte et 2 immatures) dans la Région de Jbel Moussa. Cette zone, au sud du détroit de Gibraltar est située sur le trajet des oiseaux […]
- Flying Start – new hope for the Turtle-dove May 24, 2017Joscelyne Ashpole from RSPB (BirdLife UK) explains why there is new hope for the Turtle-dove across its migratory flyways. In ancient Greek mythology, the European Turtle-dove Streptopelia turtur was purported to be sacred to Demeter, goddess of the harvest and agriculture. As a species of cultivated areas and woodland, the Turtle-dove would have been a […]
- The Bird Bulletin, Vol.9 May 26, 2017
Tag Archives: Lesser Masked-owl
Archived 2014 discussion: Australian Masked-owl (Tyto novaehollandiae), Lesser Masked-owl (T. sororcula) and Manus Masked-owl (T. manusi) are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae: list the newly defined species as Least Concern?
Australian Masked-owl Tyto novaehollandiae, Lesser Masked-owl T. sororcula and Manus Masked-owl T. manusi are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae, following the application of criteria set out by Tobias et al. (2010). Continue reading
Lesser Masked-owl Tyto sororcula is currently treated as Data Deficient because most records are from the 19th or early 20th century. given the rate of habitat loss within its range it seems prudent to reclassify the species as Vulnerable under criterion A2 owing to suspected rapid population declines in excess of 30% over the past three generations. Comments on the species’s current status are welcomed. Continue reading