- Africa (87)
- Americas (209)
- Archive (255)
- Asia (174)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (64)
- Species Group (134)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Suggestions for new topics
- Crescent-chested Puffbird (Malacoptila striata) is being split: list M. minor as Critically Endangered and M. striata as Near Threatened?
- Xantus’s Murrelet (Synthliboramphus hypoleucus) is being split: list S. hypoleucus as Endangered and S. scrippsi as Vulnerable?
- The recently described taxon Capito fitzpatricki is being recognised as a species by BirdLife: list the species as Near Threatened?
- Ringed Woodpecker (Celeus torquatus) is being split: request for information on C. tinnunculus, and list C. torquatus as Near Threatened and C. occidentalis as Least Concern?
Tag Archives: Lesser Masked-owl
Australian Masked-owl (Tyto novaehollandiae), Lesser Masked-owl (T. sororcula) and Manus Masked-owl (T. manusi) are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae: list the newly defined species as Least Concern?
Australian Masked-owl Tyto novaehollandiae, Lesser Masked-owl T. sororcula and Manus Masked-owl T. manusi are being lumped as T. novaehollandiae, following the application of criteria set out by Tobias et al. (2010). Continue reading
Lesser Masked-owl Tyto sororcula is currently treated as Data Deficient because most records are from the 19th or early 20th century. given the rate of habitat loss within its range it seems prudent to reclassify the species as Vulnerable under criterion A2 owing to suspected rapid population declines in excess of 30% over the past three generations. Comments on the species’s current status are welcomed. Continue reading