- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- One to Watch - Spoon-billed Sandpiper December 2, 2016In our "One to Watch" series, we take a quick look at the status of some of the iconic species we're working on. Fondly known in birding circles as Spoonie, the charismatic Spoon-billed Sandpiper Calidris pygmaea occupies a limited breeding range in north-eastern Russia, from where it migrates down the western Pacific coast to its […]
- A Dirty Day for Europe’s Clean Dream December 2, 2016Last week, the European Commission unveiled its much-hyped Clean Energy package – the map charting Europe’s energy future from 2020 to 2030. Yet for all the pomp and fanfare, the package unequivocally failed to ‘come clean’ on the dark truth behind bioenergy – an alarming omission considering that bioenergy accounts for 65% of the EU’s […]
- Pioneering Sri Lankan bird group turns 40 December 2, 2016Sri Lanka, October 1976: seven intrepid trailblazers set their sights on making a solid impact on bird awareness and biodiversity conservation on the island. The result? The creation of the Field Ornithology Group of Sri Lanka (FOGSL). Fast forward to 2016, and FOGSL are celebrating their 40th anniversary. Led by the much-loved Emeritus Prof Sarath […]
- One to Watch - Spoon-billed Sandpiper December 2, 2016
Tag Archives: Lesser Adjutant
BirdLife species factsheet for Lesser Adjutant Lesser Adjutant Leptoptilos javanicus has an extensive range across South and South-East Asia (BirdLife International 2001). It is currently listed as Vulnerable under criterion A2cd+3cd+4cd of the IUCN Red List because its population was suspected to be … Continue reading