- Africa (162)
- Americas (287)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (228)
- Australia (31)
- Europe & Central Asia (69)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (84)
- Species Group (183)
- Taxonomy (72)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- The newly described taxon Boa Nova Tapaculo (Scytalopus gonzagai) is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: list as Endangered?
- The newly described taxon Scytalopus gettyae is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: request for information
- Icterine Greenbul (Phyllastrephus icterinus) is being split: request for information regarding P. lorenzi
- Tiny Greenbul (Phyllastrephus debilis) is being split: list P. debilis as Least Concern and P. albigula as Near Threatened or Vulnerable?
- White-throated Greenbul (Phyllastrephus albigularis) is being split: list P. albigularis as Least Concern and P. viridiceps as Near Threatened?
- How simple striped sheets could save seabirds September 30, 2016Every year, 400,000 seabirds worldwide are estimated to meet their end as a result of becoming unintentionally caught in gillnets while diving for food. Gillnets are panels of near-invisible underwater netting used in rivers and oceans by fishermen the world over. They are so-called because fish get entangled by their gills as they struggle to […]
- Guinea begins a new era for conservation of migratory waterbirds September 30, 2016Guinea has now acquired tools and capacity to carry out conservation actions of migratory waterbirds. These tools include the availability of the National AEWA Work Plan, the Lesser Flamingo and the Black Crowned-crane Species Action Plan.
- Flight of Fancy - Common Pheasant September 30, 2016''Flight of Fancy'' features bird-inspired art from all over the world. The Common Phesant appeared in the June issue of the BirdLife The Magazine. Birds are a constant interwoven presence throughout human culture, not least for food, for warmth, as companions, and inspiration. From rock art depictions, through a roll-call of painters and sculptors, […]
- How simple striped sheets could save seabirds September 30, 2016
Tag Archives: Javan Banded Pitta
Archived 2010-2011 topics: Newly-split Malayan Banded Pitta (Pitta irena), Bornean Banded Pitta (P. schwaneri) and Javan Banded Pitta (P. guajana): list all as Least Concern?
Banded Pitta Pitta guajana has been split into Malayan Banded Pitta P. irena, Bornean Banded Pitta P. schwaneri and Javan Banded Pitta P. guajana: it is proposed that P. irena, P. schwaneri and P. guajana all be listed as Least Concern on the basis that none of them meet the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Continue reading