- Africa (89)
- Americas (210)
- Archive (438)
- Asia (175)
- Australia (20)
- Europe & Central Asia (32)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (21)
- Pacific (66)
- Species Group (137)
- Taxonomy (1)
- Uncategorized (3)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing and taking of birds in the Mediterranean
- Cory’s Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea) is being split: request for information on C. diomedea and C. borealis
- The taxonomic treatment of the Little Shearwater (Puffinus assimilis)/Audubon’s Shearwater (P. lherminieri) complex is being revised, and P. bryani is being recognised as a species: request for information
- Aleutian Tern (Onychoprion aleuticus, formerly Sterna aleutica): uplist to Vulnerable or Endangered?
- Ogea Monarch (Mayrornis versicolor): downlist to Near Threatened or Least Concern?
Tag Archives: Helmeted Woodpecker
Helmeted Woodpecker Dryocopus galeatus is currently listed as Near Threatened under criteria A2c; A3c; A4c on the basis that a population decline equivalent to 30-49% over 10 years was suspected in the past and is projected in the future, owing to widespread deforestation. However, deforestation rates throughout the species’s range may have slowed and now perhaps average lower than 30% over 10 years (R. Clay in litt. 2007).