- Africa (149)
- Americas (276)
- Archive (525)
- Asia (222)
- Australia (29)
- Europe & Central Asia (68)
- Illegal killing of birds (1)
- Middle East (46)
- Pacific (80)
- Species Group (183)
- Taxonomy (39)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Striped Manakin (Machaeropterus regulus) is being split: list M. regulus as Near Threatened?
- Shrike-like Cotinga (Laniisoma elegans) is being split: request for information
- Asian Fairy-bluebird (Irena puella) is being split: list Palawan Fairy-bluebird I. tweeddalii as Near Threatened?
- The newly described taxon Hypocnemis rondoni is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: request for information.
- The newly described taxon Hemitriccus cohnhafti is to be recognised as a species by BirdLife: list as Near Threatened?
- Sanctuary declared for elusive oriole once believed extinct September 29, 2016With its yellow and olive-green plumage perfectly camouflaging it against the tree canopies, the Isabela Oriole Oriolus isabellae, a lowland forest specialist endemic to the island of Luzon in the Philippines, doesn't intend for itself to be seen by humans. And unfortunately, for many decades it wasn't. Due to the rapid and widespread deforestation which has […]
- Ivory poachers driving rare bird to extinction September 28, 2016A sudden explosion of demand for the Helmeted Hornbill's casque as "ivory" is plunging the species to extinction at frightening speed. Yesterday the government of Indonesia once again explained the issue during the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) - a gathering of 182 nations currently underway in Johannesburg, South Africa. Perhaps the […]
- Conservation: not just about the birds and the bees September 27, 2016When someone says the phrase ‘nature conservation’ what comes to mind? For many people it means the species and habitats being conserved – forests and oceans, tigers and whales, penguins and parrots. Many conservationists have embarked on their chosen career because of their passion for wildlife and wild places. They have followed a natural sciences […]
- Sanctuary declared for elusive oriole once believed extinct September 29, 2016
Tag Archives: Giant Nuthatch
BirdLife species factsheet for Giant Nuthatch Giant Nuthatch Sitta magna is restricted to the mountains of south-west China, central and east Myanmar and north-west Thailand. The majority of records are from Yunnan (China), with only two known localities in Myanmar, both of … Continue reading