- Africa (167)
- Americas (320)
- Archive (716)
- Asia (265)
- Australia (35)
- Europe & Central Asia (70)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (47)
- Pacific (103)
- Species Group (189)
- Taxonomy (158)
- Uncategorized (6)
Five most recent topics
- Review of illegal killing of birds in Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, Iraq and Iran
- Yellow-breasted Pipit (Hemimacronyx chloris): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
- Okarito Brown Kiwi (Apteryx rowi): Downlist to Vulnerable?
- White-winged Cotinga (Xipholena atropurpurea): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
- Atlantic Royal Flycatcher (Onychorhynchus swainsoni): downlist from Vulnerable to Near Threatened?
- The Montserrat Oriole is no longer Critically Endangered January 20, 2017This article was first published in the December issue of BirdLife The Magazine. Subscribe via iTunes/Android to easily support our conservation work. With two thirds of its suitable forest habitat completely destroyed, the population of Montserrat Oriole Icterus oberi dramatically declined after a series of volcanic eruptions during the late 1990s, and suffered from the impact of invasive […]
- Berlin - Painting the town green! January 20, 2017On the eve of the annual ‘Wir habe es satt!!’ (‘We are fed up!’) march during Berlin’s International Green Week – when tens of thousands march for a new approach to farming – our Agriculture Policy Officer Thomas Quinn explains why, this year, it is more important than ever to tell the European Commission that […]
- Major oil spill in Turkey; emergency teams deployed [PHOTOS] January 19, 2017A major oil spill is affecting coastal areas in western Turkey. Doğa Derneği (Birdlife Turkey) has deployed an emergency team of volunteers to help oiled wildlife. In the clear waters of Izmit Bay in western Turkey, a major oil spill is putting human health and marine biodiversity at risk. The spill occurred last Friday near […]
- The Montserrat Oriole is no longer Critically Endangered January 20, 2017
Tag Archives: Carrizal Seedeater
Archived 2016 topics: Rearrangement of a selection of Amaurospiza species: list A. moesta and A. relicta as Least Concern?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Carrizal Seedeater Amaurospiza carrizalensis was only described in 2003, shortly after which habitat at the type locality was destroyed. Consequently the species was listed as Critically Endangered with a suspected global population of fewer than 50 individuals and declining. However, surveys in late 2007 and 2008 recorded the species in seven areas in the Caroní basin. Declines are still suspected because other potentially suitable habitat continues to be destroyed. However, the low number of records may be partly due to the difficulty in surveying its habitat. If the species has proven to be more common and widespread and its habitat less threatened than was initially feared then it may warrant downlisting to a lower category of threat. Continue reading